Newbie needs advice, please help

newbie24

Recruit
I have recently purchased a 1994 Dynasty Jet Storm. The motor is strong, gas has been drained and fresh has been used. The boat does not want to come to plane. Does anyone have any ideas about why this is happening. What is a hydrofoil and where would I go to get one, if thats what I need? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Newbie needs advice, please help

I've never seen a whale tail on a jet boat before. If your boat isn't comming to plane and you know it's not a control issue, I have to wonder if it's a thrust issue w/ the jet drive. Was the boat running/cruising fine when you first bought it?

newbie24

Recruit

Again being new to this, we bought it super cheap and did some fixing up. We have only had it in the water 3 times so far. The most recent time it seemed to lag that's when the guy helping us said it didn't come to plane.(He had to give me a science lesson.):) It needed ether to start but once started runs ok.Today we put a new fuel filter, which was about the only thing that hadn't been changed/cleaned. We will try it again soon.

emoney

Commander

Changed and/or cleaned doesn't necessarily equate to maintenance. Unless you are loading it extremely heavy, if it's not planing you've got something "broke". You really need to start at the very beginning, which is do a compression test, then a spark test then a fuel test. If you want help, you should post exactly what type of engine and jetdrive you have, as the name of the boat won't help. That jet boat should easily plane and reach 45mph with 2 people on it. Planing itself shouldn't take over 2 seconds, I'd imagine. I wouldn't run that boat until you've done those 3 things mentioned, or had someone do them for you.

Starting it with "ether" is your first clue. There's something definitely wrong on the "fuel side", but start with compression first, then spark, then fuel.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

You are going to need a manual for that motor..... no exceptions. I would go with ONLY an OEM shop manual.

How do you know the motor is strong? It is only a 90hp and if it is not properly running......... your boat will not plane out. Your motor needs to be tested....... compression, spark, and fuel delivery. ANY motor will still sound proper and hit top rpm's while not under load. Even a 2 cylinder motor will run on one cylinder and "sound strong"

newbie24

Recruit

Thanks for the help so far. My motor is a mericruiser 90 hp jetboat motor,3 cylinder. We ordered a manual but it is the wrong one. Where can I get the right one? We can't seem to find any information about this motor.What would be max speed be? Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It's probably a Mercury not a Mercruiser. I know it's just semantics but it may help you in your search for info.