2000 volvo penta i/o vibration at low speeds or idle

spoonef

Cadet
Hello all,
Quick question. At low speeds or at idle my glastron 175 sx with volvo penta (3.0 liter 135 hp) vibrates a lot. At higher speeds it runs normally. Any help would be much appriciated.

Thanks
Eric

Re: 2000 volvo penta i/o vibration at low speeds or idle

u-joint and or gimbal bearing, does it change as you trim up or down? Where does the vibration seem to be coming from, out drive or motor?

spoonef

Cadet

Hi Justin, it doesnt change with different trim. It only gets better at speed. When I open the engine hatch the motor seems to be moving alot!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When was the last time the engine had a full tuneup, compression check, timing check, and carb mixture and idle adjustment?

spoonef

Cadet

Yeah I know that I should do that. wow at least 3 years ago. I guess my rational is that I only use the boat 6 times a year. 2 years ago I took the boat in for a $32.00 water pump rebuild and walked out spending 1600 not sure on what....... I'm very nervous about our local volvo penta dealers in San Ramon - Antioch CA.

Thanks

spoonef

Cadet

oh I did replace a belt last year. Could this possible impact the engine??

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is the engine injected or carb'd? My port engine (TBI) was acting like that until we figured out that one of the injectors was clogged up. It ran rough at idle and as you said, "moved around a lot".

spoonef

Cadet

I'm pretty sure it's Carbed.

Don S

Is the engine injected or carb'd?

It's carbed. In his first post, he stated it's a 3.0L engine and in 2000, they were all carbed.

oh I did replace a belt last year. Could this possible impact the engine??

No.

Yeah I know that I should do that. wow at least 3 years ago. I guess my rational is that I only use the boat 6 times a year. 2 years ago I took the boat in for a $32.00 water pump rebuild and walked out spending 1600 not sure on what....... I'm very nervous about our local volvo penta dealers in San Ramon - Antioch CA

With so little use, you could easily have bad fuel. Non use and E fuels, and no water seperating fuel filter = water in the carb, plugged up jets in the carb, and a very rough idle.

spoonef

Cadet

Hi Don,
I had the entire lower end serviced in 2008, ujoint etc. I generally run 91 gas in it and have used seafoam gas treatment all year. The tank was topped off last October.

So getting a carb tune up is the first place to start?

jclarke2899

Seaman

I think Don mentioned the first place to start would be doing a compression check, timing check, and carb mixture and idle adjustment before tearing into anything that might not need it.

Don S

I had the entire lower end serviced in 2008, ujoint etc.
That drive needs to come off every year, alignment checked, and the splines greased on the coupler shaft. At that time the gimbal bearing and ujoints are greased and inspected, and check for water in the bellow.

The carb rebuild is different than an engine tuneup.