5.0 Penta GL SX Starting problems

j.4knee

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 08 Blue Water Venture with the 5.0 Volvo GL SX Stern drive. When starting her cold I have to engage the high idle switch and add throttle or she will not start. All I get is a loud piercing alarm, I also need to do this after she runs a bit. I am not an engine guru, I know carbureted engine in past cars needed to have the accelerator pumped a couple times in cold weather. I am not in a cold weather environment I live in So Cal. I just bought the boat and have a limited to time to exercise the dealer warranty. Any thoughts? Advice? Thanks

EDIT: Nevermind did some research and got my answer please disregard!

jclarke2899

Seaman
Re: 5.0 Penta GL SX Starting problems

Hi, could you share what was wrong with yours as I am having a similar problem. Thanks!

j.4knee

Seaman Apprentice

Essentially the cold start requires priming, normal caburator thing. It is not an EFI so nothing is telling the fuel pump to prime the engine. You need to turn the engine switch to on, engage the high idle switch and push throttle to a point that would normally give you about 1000 RPM and then start the engine. The alarm is normal it goes off until the engines is running and oil pressure is correct.

j.4knee

Seaman Apprentice

FOLLOW UP: I had to take my boat in for service the warm start problem was prevalent. I am assuming the adjusted the carb or cleaned I'll find out when I pick it back up.

Edit: Carb rebuild