Mercury 1991 50hp won't start

JeanneV

Cadet
We have a Mercury 50HP outboard engine:

last summer it became increasingly difficult to start, finally had to start using ether spray to start it
My husband is working on the engine, thinks it may be an electrical problem, it started once today, he used the kill switch to stop it, now it won't start back.

Do you have a checklist or something we can use to help diagnose the problem?
This is a '91 moter s/n odo75609

Thank you, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated, sorry that I don't have more information at this point. My husband is a good mechanic on cars and mortorcycles, but has no patience when it comes to boats.... I am afraid that if I don't find a checklist for him to use he will continue to randomly check things until he tires of this and I have to hire a boat mechanic!!!!

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury outboard 50hp won't start

You should find a sticky entitled "Motor won't start". For your part, you might post bacj the year or serial number of the motors, as the electrics are different on different years

JeanneV

Cadet

thank you for the advice! This is a 91 Mercury 50 S/N ODO75609

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK< go on the cdielectronics.com web site and look for a troubleshooting procedure for a Merc 4 cylinder ADI ignition. It will show you how to test the ign components.

JeanneV

Cadet
Re: Mercury 1991 50hp won't start

Thank You!!!! I have the troubleshooting guide... I truly appreciate your help with this!