Key switch issues?

xsquyz

Cadet
Im having occasional issues with not getting my engine to crank. It does it randomly while on the water. I cant tell if there are any patterns of when it will do it. The engine works and runs but sometimes just not able to get it to crank.

I would be able to get it to crank and running smoothly but Id stop at a place to fish for a while, then try to turn the engine on but it will not crank.

Im assuming the keyswitch might the culprit but again it works then decides it doesnt want to....then finally works again.

Thanks for the help!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Key switch issues?

What are we working on here?

Another issue could be the neutral safety switch. Next time you have this problem, wiggle the shift control to see if that gets rid of the problem. If it does, you need to adjust or replace the switch.

D

DJ

Give us a clue; Make, Model, Year, HP, etc.

xsquyz

Cadet

Sorry, It is a 1992 E60TLENE 1992 Evinrude.

When this happens, I notice the gauges would twitch a little bit and the key switch would sound a fading beep.

Thanks for the response fellas.

xsquyz

Cadet

What are we working on here?

Another issue could be the neutral safety switch. Next time you have this problem, wiggle the shift control to see if that gets rid of the problem. If it does, you need to adjust or replace the switch.

What do you mean by adjusting the switch?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If it is your neutral safety switch, you need to make sure it is closed when the control is in neutral. Often the position of the switch or the arm itself can be adjusted so that the switch is closed.

To see if it is your problem, you can bypass the switch it to see if it helps your problem. You should never operate your boat with the switch bypassed though because it is a critical safety feature.

xsquyz

Cadet

Finally got a chance to take it out for a couple of hours on Memorial Day. It only happened once today, but with a wiggle of the lever..it cranked right away. Hopefully it is only as minor as this!

Thanks for all your help!

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

That would be a sign that you need to adjust or replace the switch as needed, if you keep trying to buy time on a faulty one and it dies for good on the lake, then you may have an issue.

Trying to take apart a control box on rolling waves can be a daunting task for many.