Volvo Penta problems after repower

Kramo

Cadet
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my experience with you all and find out if anyone can provide me with help and advice.

This year February I decided to re-power my boat 5.0GIPBYCCE essentially the mechanic replaced the existing block with a rebuilt one. I also had him replace the Manifolds and Risers during that time. The boat ran fine for about 3 weeks then the problems started happening and I have yet to have it run without issues since.

It all started on my return trip home one weekend and I noticed the boat starting to lose power, so I pulled it back to idle turned it off and started up again but no luck at this point I couldn't even plane out wouldn't go above 2000 rpms. Called the mechanic he checked it out and called it a bad high pressure fuel pump (it was whining) replaced it and the boat ran well for another about 5 hours and the problem came right back.

Mechanic took it back and cleaned the gas reservoir for possible clogging and also cleaned the anti siphon valve but he still told me that it wasn't working, so he hooked up the computer to it for diagnostics and found out that it was giving a bad MAP sensor. Replaced the MAP sensor and he calls to tell me that the boat is not coming out of LIMP mode that for some reason the computer keeps it in that state. He went and replaced the temperature sensor and called me that day to tell me everything is working fine.

Took it out and it seemed to run fine just idling a little off, where it drops a bit in RPMS then revs back up, but the boat roan fine and had the power. Till about 2 hours into the trip same problem came back almost identical to the original problem, not going over 2000 rpms and now the idle is even more unstable and just runs really rough. I could also hear the whine from the fuel pump.

I guess my main question here while I wait for him to come diagnose it is, is it normal to have 2 fuel pumps go bad that quickly? 2. anyone had a similar experience? 3. am I getting screwed?

All your input is greatly appreciated

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta problems after repower

I guess my main question here while I wait for him to come diagnose it is, is it normal to have 2 fuel pumps go bad that quickly?

If the problem that caused the high pressure pump to fail isn't fixed, then yes, it will fail again. Did your mechanic check fuel pressure on the low presssure pump? There may be a vacuum leak in the fuel system before the engine fuel filter which will get air into the system.
Was the engines fuel filter checked for water and replaced?

Kramo

Cadet
Re: Volvo Penta problems after repower

Don, yes low pressure pump was checked and filter was replaced no water. Also, how would you check for a vacuum leak in the fuel system?