oil film behind boat when running

atcra

Seaman
I noticed this weekend that when i would slow down to recover the tuber i just threw off that there would be a film of oil coming from my outdrive (5.0 FL (Carb.) - 1995 210 Wellccraft SC). :facepalm: Boat seems to run out just fine and idle without issues but the oil slick behind me has got me concerned. Checked dipstick and all looks fine (correct level). Thank you.

jasonachord

Seaman Apprentice
Re: oil film behind boat when running

I had this same symptom last year. Took it in to the shop and I was leaking outdrive oil. I have the Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 2 and it was leaking around the fitting for the speedometer pickup tube. Check your outdrive gear oil and see if your low.

atcra

Seaman

Thank you...i will! That is not what i would have expected to hear. I did just change the gear lube prior to this boating season...i will check it this evening...thank you. By the way...wear would it be leaking from?

TRONMAN2000

Seaman Apprentice

Check your trim cylinder hoses also. I found a loose fitting on the manifold block in the transom shield. It was a very small drip, but it caused a large looking slick in the water. Just another possibility to look into.

jasonachord

Seaman Apprentice

Mine was leaking where the speedometer pickup tube goes into the lower drive unit. Look on the back side of the lower unit for a black tube. It would also leak on the driveway in the up position when this problem started.

Attachments

• ahpha_speedo_pick_up_003.jpg
    ahpha_speedo_pick_up_003.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 0

atcra

Seaman

So, yesterday i go home and get the boat idleing smoothly and get the temp. up on the engine. I took 2 glass jars and collected exhaust water to see if any oil was present....looking at it now and i see seperation of any sort. Someone i work with mentioned that the carb may be to rich...will the fuel not used come out of the exhaust and give that film look behind the boat? Thank you.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

will the fuel not used come out of the exhaust and give that film look behind the boat?

If you are referring to the sheen on the water, yes it will. I assumed you actually had a thin layer of oil floating on the water.
Problem is, if it was gas, and running rich enough to cause a sheen on the water, then it probably wouldn't idle very well.

atcra

Seaman

It really was idleing very smooth but if i came off the throttle quickly it would flood and be a beast to start back up. I opened the jars of water and the smell of gas was alot more in one than the other (dont know what side is in which jar). I will try it again this afternoon after i adjust the idle mixture screw and see what the outcome is...just very please that it's not oil!!! Thanks for your assistance and advise.

Don S

When you pull back the throttle quickly, it will do that a little until it clears out. If you back off the throttle smoothly and a bit slower it will work much better and you won't loose as much raw fuel.

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

Do you have a q-jet? You could have the start of your welch plugs leaking.

atcra

Seaman

I am going to to say no....not sure what a q-jet and welch plugs are...please explain if possible! thanks!

Don S

You don't have a Qjet, you have a Holley carb, and they don't have those leaky welch plugs.