Shouldn't the coolant water always squirt out the back?

bouncermike2000

Recruit
Shouldn't the coolant water always squirt out the back? I have a 1996 Mercury 90HP 4-stroke outboard. Does the coolant system rely upon an impeller or a pump to provide pressure? I hit a stump in shallow water and the engine died with a very audible thump. This may have damaged an impeller huh? Sheared the key perhaps. The prop runs and the boat has power; however, there is a bit of a "wobble or shimmy" felt, sometimes accompanied by strange noises coming from the prop area.

Art Bernard

Banned
Re: Shouldn't the coolant water always squirt out the back?

Don't run it anymore, you gonna make it worse. Look to see if your prop is bent and you may have bent the prop shaft as well. Anytime the engine is running, there is supposed to water squirting out of the "pee" hole. If it's not than you may not be pumping water and your engine will overgeat and possibly seize on you. The strange noises may be the gears eating themselves. Yes, the cooling water is pumped throughtout your engine by the water pump located in the foot of your engine. If your not mechanically inclined, I highly recomend taking it to a good marine mechanic, but whatever you do, DON'T run it anymore till it's fixed or you may kill it.

Art

bouncermike2000

Recruit

Thanks Art,
I need to pull the prop and inspect the shaft for damage. Would the water pump be susceptible to damage from an encounter with a stump as well? I'm not quite sure what you mean by "foot". I've read that mud can clog the flow of coolant water, the ports along the front of the prop and shaft housing aren't visibly clogged.

carholme

Rear Admiral

mike;

What is the s/n of your engine?

Gerry