99merc 200 efi

bill66

Recruit
Need alittle help my timing is backward when i start the motor. It is advance at a idle and then retards when i advance control arm. I did pull the flywheel to see if the center ring was loose on it and it look ok. I have a evinrude that has done this and it was the center ring on the flywheel. Any other suggestions??

bill66

Recruit
Re: 99merc 200 efi

at a idle it is around 18 degrees and around 2500rpms i can take the control link that is suppose to advance the timing when you start giving it throttle and it will retard the timing.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

Impossible... I have a 200efi and your idle timing isn't 18 degress as the idle would be screaming and you couldn't get it into gear without breaking something..you need to be on number 1 cylinder..If you owned a dial indicator I could explain how to index your flywheel but that is another story at this point...These engines depending on model will retard at full throttle typically 3 degrees but it varies with the motor and year...

at a idle it is around 18 degrees and around 2500rpms i can take the control link that is suppose to advance the timing when you start giving it throttle and it will retard the timing.

What kind of timing light are you using? Is it one with the adjustable advance timing knob?