tack dosent work on 50 merc,

rkring

Recruit
when this started it was intermittent. now it dosent work at all. got voltage to tack.my manual shows wire going to rev limiter. its gray and after tracing it i find its connected. looked for a ground problem, all seem to be o.k. is it the tack or the revlimiter or am i missing something!!!!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: tack dosent work on 50 merc,

You might tell the year of the motor. BTW - what exactly are you calling a rev limiter?

rkring

Recruit

You might tell the year of the motor. BTW - what exactly are you calling a rev limiter?
im sorry. its a 2001 50 merc 2 cycle50elpt. after further reading, the gray wire from the tach goes to the voltage regulator. i put my meter on the battery and started it and its charging as the voltage went up to 13.6. the boat is a sylvan 17 bass. same year as motor. the gray wire at the tach has a .70 voltage reading which dosent change with engine rpm. the tach moves only when the ignition is turned on.

cr2k

Captain

May be your tach itself. Voltage does not determine the RPMs. RPMs are determined by the charge pulses, as RPMs increase so do the charge pulses. The tach counts the number of pulses to determine what to show for RPMs. One thing you can do is look on the back of the tach, find the switch and turn it back and forth a few times (resetting it to where is was) if you internal contacts are dirty, corroded, pitted, this may clean them and be all you need to do.

rkring

Recruit

i thought about the dial on the tach. i turned it with the engine off, than i started it, with muffs attached of course, no change, so i did it with it running. still no change. the way it started by bouncing around, than finally quiting altogather, i thought it was a connection somewhere. no luck. i have a new regulator so ill let you know what happens.thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rkring

Recruit

well i replaced the regulator and now the tach works. i also checked to see if its charging and it is. it can be the regulator, even if its still charging. thanks for your help, as it made me think.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!