Chrysler 55 converted to Force electronic.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Tater: I'm answering this on the forum because some others may have valuable input.

To summarize: You converted a Chrysler 55 HP engine with points ignition to Force 50 HP electronic ignition. You are now having trouble setting timing to 30 degrees.

You are in uncharted territory since I don't think anyone would have taken the time to do this.

I also have a 55 sitting outside my garage in process but I can not help you because it is not finished.

However, I can say that you must recheck your settings. While TDC and 32 degrees advance is a given and set on the flywheel, that does not necessarily mean that it is the same for electronic. The linkage MAY advance the trigger a different amount for electronic than it does for points. AND, the flywheel center magnet MAY be related to the trigger differently than the cam and points.

To answer your other question: You engine still needs to be at 30-32 degrees maximum timing advance at WOT. I know by experience that 40 degrees advance is too much.

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Chrysler 55 converted to Force electronic.

Thanks Frank, that was exactly the info I was in search of. I began second guessing my work, thus the question :) I can't tell you how many times I read and reread both the Chrysler and Force manuals on the subject. I found them to be a little vague on what I was trying to achieve. I have set it, and double checked that it is at 30 degrees. I am going to take it out this afternoon to see how it does, and recheck my adjustments.

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Chrysler 55 converted to Force electronic.

Ok, so the results of today's run were very good. The engine started, idled, ran out at WOT with no issues at all. After the first 10 min WOT run I shut it down and pulled the plugs to check for any signs of aluminum, and nothing. I did this periodically throughout the day, and did not see anything. The engine never overheated, hiccupped, or anything to show signs of too much advance.

Frank, I wanted to explain the setup a little more to clarify what I am dealing with, and to maybe help others that want to try a swap like this. So my 1985 flywheel has 2 marks on it, exactly 180 degrees apart. I pulled both spark plugs, inserted screwdriver, found TDC, and flywheel marks did not match up with the marks on the block, not even close. I know this is not the most accurate way, but I don't have a micrometer or the special tool to do it right. The engine ran well before I started messing with the timing, it just had no top end speed. Note, I made no adjustment to the tower and other components from the donor motor, it was just a pick and place onto the 55. I actually never thought of the timing until I weeded out fuel, prop, mounting height issues, just thought it came off of a running motor so why mess with it.

So, as the lines did not match up, I read through some threads as to how to remedy this. I ended up finding TDC again, marking the flywheel, counting the flywheel teeth, and doing some math to find 32 degrees, made a mark. I started the engine, put the timing light on it and made my adjustments, runs great. I understand I could have been off quite a bit from my screwdriver method.

Fast forward to today, just for giggles I compared the timing marks from both engine blocks. The 55hp has a total of 5, one thick dark line in the middle and 2 lighter marks left and right of this line. The 50hp has a total of 8 lines, one thick dark line in the middle, 2 lighter to the left of it, and 5 to the right? Seems like a lot of room for movement on the + side? Anyone have an explanation for the extra timing marks on the 50? I didn't see anything on this in the manual.