Tilt/Trim quit working.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yesterday in mid-fishing trip, my trim/tilt quit working. No indication that anything was slowly going bad or anything, it just QUIT. Fortunately it was at a reasonablly usable height when it died.

So here are the questions...
1. The model number is VE40TLESR. It came on a Lowe 15ft package. Both boat and motor are 1990 production. Would this have been an Evinrude trim-tilt that came with the motor? I understand that this is probably a dumb question that needs more info to answer.

Based on the model number, I believe that this is a factory trim/tilt. Does anyone have a schematic that shows how this is wired? How about pictures for the mechanical portion of the design? Does this have relays? If so, where are they located at?

2. Any thoughts as to why it would die mid trip with no warning? The trim motor was rebuilt either last summer or the summer before. Both up and down quit at the same time and up until they quit, they both worked perfectly. Would there be a fuse somewhere in the system?

3. Finally, how do I release this beast so I can raise it to get a look at what is going on?

I do not have any pictures now, but tomorrow evening, I will be taking some and will post them.

TerryMSU

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tilt/Trim quit working.

Trace the electric motor wires back to its connector and unplug them. Run jumper wires direct from the battery to the electric motor wires. Hooked up in one direction should have the motor running in one direction, reverse the wires for the opposite direction. If the electric motor runs, then obviously it is okay and the problem lies elsewhere. What did you find?

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tilt/Trim quit working.

Well I finally got a chance to work on it this evening, Here are a few pictures with a few comments.

25gfdlh.jpg

64h2qr.jpg

dqq00m.jpg

I could not match this with any of the expolded views I found elsewhere (for example... ishopmarine shows this one. http://www.ishopmarine.com/ish...05-EJ )

I pulled the top screw (where I loaded the trim fluid last time) hoping that that would release the piston. No luck. Then I loosened the lower screw. That release the piston and I was able to tilt the outboard motor. Unfortunately I also lost the spring behind the lower screw. Argh! Besides which I still cannot get the trim motor to run. By the way, the screws are out in these pictures.

While I cound not get at the motor connector (could not find it), I did clean up a couple of minor electrical issues. The relays had a black tar-like substance on the pins. Cleaned that off the relays and the sockets. Also, the lines to the battery were a little loose at the battery, so I tightened them. Niether of those helped.

Does anyone recognize this assembly?

Thanks,
TerryMSU