Leaking 2-stroke oil when sitting stored

whodey

Cadet
HELP!!! I am leaking oil from a 2003 60hp Bigfoot while boat is sitting. I have replaced the holding tank, new tubing to the oil pump and removed the oil pump to find a couple "C" rings instead of "O" rings and thought that was the problem but it is still leaking defiantly from around the pump. Could it be a bad oil pump or did I replace it with the wrong o-rings? I am completely stumped...please help before I get over-ran with gray hair!!! Thanks in advance?.

whodey

Cadet
Re: Leaking 2-stroke oil when sitting stored

Anyone??? Any suggestions would be helpful....

Here is the exploded diagram of your oil pump, did you make sure the gear meshed with the worm gear. Rotate the flywheel while pusing in on the gear?

MERC_OIL_PUMP_60.png

knouse94

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have just done some research on this because I had the same problem with my older motor. What I found was that it is unused fuel from the motor. My problem was that my carbs were not working properly and needed to be rebuilt. Good Luck

whodey

Cadet

resolution: the replaced O rings "slipped" in a ****-eyed postion when I put them in the first time. Placed them correctly and I'm no longer leaking oil.

Thanks to all that had some insight :)
Happy boating!!!