Being kind to tow vehicle

haley

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My boat - including engine, battery, fuel, and stuff - weighs in at half the 3500lb capacity of my tow vehicle (1999 Toyota Sienna with tow package). The minivan does not have trouble towing it, but it is a 1999 and I want to treat the old girl right.

Just put new tires on, and opted for a step up in tow rating on the tires.

Having the transmission fluid flushed, and will step up how often it is changed.

Anything else I can do for her?

Is switching to synthetic oil worth it - as far as towing?

jh

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Being kind to tow vehicle

The best thing for it is to have a light foot on both the accelerator, and the brake. Take your time, and don't overwork it.

I don't use synthetic oil for any of my engines. I do not think that the extra cost gains anything in longevity, or performance. I'm sure that there are plenty of others that will disagree with me on that.

haley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use "organic" oil - the wife says we should be consuming more organic stuff. ;)

I do change the oil every 3k or 3 months (it is usually 3 months with this vehicle) which I think is more often than Toyota says is needed.

EMC 1810SS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I sometimes tow with our mini van to. I put an auxillary transmission cooler (made a huge difference) and just flush the transmission at the SEVERE duty interval rather than the light duty. I dont use synthetic oil in anything I own unless it came with synthetic off the factory floor. I figure if Toyota/GM/ford engineers thought it would work, who am I to out think them?

oldjeep

Admiral

Biggest thing you can do is to make sure that your trans is not hunting for gears. If you notice that it is coming in and out of OD then take it out of overdrive.

EMC 1810SS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ohh yeah, Unless I am on FLAT ground, I dont tow in overdrive either.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Synthetic oil is more shear stable and in general you MIGHT be able to get more miles out of it, but not without doing a used oil analysis first to see the condition of it.

Personally I use it in my wrx, but that is also a OEM requirement for that engine. (high heat, turbocharged. Conventional oil will cook in the turbo)

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

Everything I have with bearings, gears, engines, etc gets synthetic. I've run it for over 20 years and can not be convinced to ever go back to dino oil. More often than not I've seen synthetic clean up the crap that dino oil leaves behind, the result is a far better running engine and drive line. Even 2-cycles. I've seen with my own eyes a significant drop in oil temp and tranny oil temp resulting from the switch to synthetic. This will throw ya'll, , 2001 Chevy Suburban 1500 4 X 4. 219,000 miles, oil change every 25,000 miles or one year, I ad 1/4 of a qt of oil every 6000 - 6500 miles. That's money :)

But as others have said, just take it easy on the tow vehicle. It's not a drag race when the light turns green, , easy acceleration, easy braking. Tranny coolers are key. Also pay attention to your coolant system, have it flushed every couple of years, it's cheap insurance. Once a year I open the hood and take the garden hose with sprayer and spray the radiator from inside the engine bay out the front. Up in Mn it gets the salt out from the winter and flushes out some of the bugs that get cought up.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

+1 one a couple of points, first tranny cooler and oil cooler "Big time"

Second, no overdrive, first it would be hard on the tranny, second safety, when it comes time for the panic stop.

D

DJ

Here is a TOP SECRET clue.
>
>
>
>
>
>

Read your owners manual.:eek: I know that's counterintuative to a guy.

Don't have one, they're available on line for download.

The vehicle maker has a vested interest in making your vehicle last as long as it can. Read; warranty $$$.

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

>
>
>
>
>
>

The vehicle maker has a vested interest in making your vehicle last as long as it can. Read; warranty $$$.

The vehicle maker also has a vested interest in stretching out maintenance intervals to reduce the projected cost of ownership, and having the vehicle fall apart after the warranty is over so they can sell more vehicles.

D

DJ

The vehicle maker also has a vested interest in stretching out maintenance intervals to reduce the projected cost of ownership, and having the vehicle fall apart after the warranty is over so they can sell more vehicles.

That's a 20 year old thought/impression.

bigdee

Commander

>
>
>
>
>
>

Dead on. Second guessing the owners manual is like Russian roulette. Pretend there is an egg between your foot and the accelerator pedal and keep it out of OD. Downshift if necessary to keep transmission from hunting for the correct gear. Take it EASY!!

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

DITTO on-
I like synthetic engine oil [but i also like collecting used chewing gum from under restaurant tables]:p
Heck ya to Aux tranny cooler. Your TOY with a tow pkg prob has one.. Heat is num 1 killer of trannys, also, when you can tell your vehicle is about to shift up to the next gear, back off on the throttle, JUST a smidge, then after it shifts , slowly apply gas again. Smooooooooothly.
Dont lug the engine, better of with higher rpms then luuuuuggggggggggiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg engine in hi gear
Leave a huge space cushion in front of tow vehicle, so you minimize braking, look way ahead...plan.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

91 sundowner 225, towing with 95 f 150, needless o say i keep overdrive off doesnt matter if i go up hills or down i am not worried about the $2.00 in gas i "might save" by driving with it on as well as my overdrive is only rated for like 500lbs even with overdrive off i do aprox 65-70 at about 2.3-2.5 rpm area. as for synthetic or regular oil only confilcs are price and milage synthetic will/can run for 5-6k miles where as normal oil about 3-4k my truck uses oil aprox 1 quart every 1k miles. i only worry about 1 hill i pass it with my boat twice a year i hit the bottom at 75-80[to the floor] and about half way up to 3/4 i am doing 35 then 30.... then i peak the hill and coast down at about 75[55mph zone] till i get to about 60.

haley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for the feedback.

Yup - I have actually read the owners manual. I also own the after market repair manual for both my vehicles (but I do not claim to be a mech wiz).

So I will consider the synthetic option and be kind to the gas pedal and brake pedal. Step up the tranny fluid changes.

Thanks again.

JH

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you don't already have one, then add in an external trans cooler. Will do more for the life of your transmission than synthetic fluid or regular changes. After that, it's okay to tow in OD so long as your trans isn't kicking in and out of OD to maintain speed.

haley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the tip.

My Sienna came with the factory tow package that included the tranny cooler (but I do not think the oil cooler referenced above).

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

>
>
>
>
>
>

You know I am a toyota fan......... they are good vehicles but I doubt the warranty is still in effect on a 1999 vehicle ;)