Mercruiser outdrive water Odor?

Kenny Ray

Recruit
Just purcahsed a 2000 Bayliner Capri w/an Alpha One Mercruiser ourdrive. Seller was original owner & had the boat serviced twice a year. Runs super smooth, but when I shut it down, the water draining from the outdrive had a foul sewer type odor. Any ideas what this may be attributed to? Or, what I can do to get ride of this smell?

Thanks, KB

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercruiser outdrive water Odor?

Just purcahsed a 2000 Bayliner Capri w/an Alpha One Mercruiser ourdrive. Seller was original owner & had the boat serviced twice a year. Runs super smooth, but when I shut it down, the water draining from the outdrive had a foul sewer type odor. Any ideas what this may be attributed to? Or, what I can do to get ride of this smell?
Thanks, KB

The number of funny responses to this is endless, but I'll be good. Where is the that water you speak of draining from the outdrive? And under what conditions: running it on a hose to flush it out after running? If so, what water are you using to flush it?

Last edited:

Kenny Ray

Recruit

Water draining from the outdrive after I use the rabbit ears and hose. I noticed when the owner 1st started it for me, that a brown/rust color water came out for a few seconds, and it smelled. Upon bringing the boat home I wanted to try and flush any residual dirty water out. The water is clear now, but the out drive area really smelled bad until it was dried up.

Owner last used the boat a year ago. He also stored the boat w/the outdrive in the up position. So I'm thinking the residual water may have just started to ferment? Also, it looks like the outdrives lowest intake holes appear to show some signs of interior rust. Any advice would be greatly appreciated on getting rid of the smell and if you think the outdrive might have some issues?

Thanks for your response,

KB

farmer9009

Seaman

I would have to suggest taking it to the water and spend the day having fun. Hopefully when you pull it out it will have been flushed out real good and smell better.

Kenny Ray

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, just need to pass the zebra mussel inspection out here in CA and then I plan to get the boat in the water. Any suggesstions on how to get the out drive completely dry?

Pete104

Lieutenant

Maybe you oughta "Detail" the cooling system! kidding