update 150 bogging, I still need help

kirmy22

Seaman
Quick update my engine bogs down when you give it throttle if you keep messing with it it will take off and run good untill you slow down below ABOUT 2000 RPM. Mech rebuilt carbs, still the same called him he said it was over propped , new prop 19 pitch same thing called him he said it was the stator I replaced it , same thing , called him now he says its the timing, he says if i drag it to him 200 miles he will set the timing. I took the prop off and drilled it and it helped alot it still sounds like its flooding out when you give it throttle but in about 4 or 5 seconds it takes off and runs like a dream, untill you let it idle back down. The top two carbs pool a little fuel in the throat if you let it idle. Will it hurt to run it like this, I dont want to mess it up.

Art Bernard

Banned
Re: update 150 bogging, I still need help

Not knowing the size of your boat I feel your still over proped (the higher the pitch# the lower rpm you turn). I've been dealing with prop issues with my 150 evinrude and the props I see generally run from 17-13 pitch with the diameter ranging from 14-15 1/4. On my boat (19' deck boat) I'm running a 15 x 15 and get 35mph @ 4600rpm wot. This is still to low so I'm saving up to get a 15 x 13 and will have it reworked to a 15 x 14 if needed.

Art

Big flop

Petty Officer 1st Class

When it starts to bog hit the choke, primer and see
if it helps, or gets worse.
What's your wide open rpm?

kirmy22

Seaman

If I hit the choke it kills it. The boat is a 17 foot hydrasport bass boat. I dont know if my tach is right if I nail it wot my tach shows about 6500 but when it says im running 5000 to 5500 it doesnt sound like its running that wound up. No speed ometer but we are scootin. Just dont understand why it sounds like its flooding , and then all of a sudden it runs like a scalded dog, all the electronics are new ecept for the coils.

j_martin

Admiral

Once more.
If the carbs are pooling fuel, either the carbs are in need of help, or perhaps the bleed lines are mis routed or in bad shape, or the bleed check valves.

Bleed system symptoms are usually poor idle and loading up, so it'll be flooded till it clears out.

Carbs can do the same thing. The center gasket, for instance, will leak enough fuel to flood out at idle, and not enough to make a difference at WOT.

I'm outa here.
John

Big flop

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is another post on here that sounds like
maybe narrowed down to sticky trigger?
have you checked the fuel pump for a
leaking diaphragm? Does it idle good?
What year is it and what spark plugs are in it.

kirmy22

Seaman

I checked the trigger today before we took it out , its a 1983 black max checked the diaprham in the fuel pump it was good . I put new gaskets in the carbs after the mech. didnt. It idles fine, after you run it hard it idles kinda spurattic sometimes it starts up perfectly idles good until you throttle up then it bogs for a few seconds and then it takes off, but you cant slow down and cruise at a slow speed

j_martin

Admiral

1. Check compression cold, then warm it up (idle on cuffs is fine), then immediately check compression again.

I'm thinking sticking rings.

2. Double check bleed line condition, routing, and check valves. Routing depends on reed orientation. Be sure you're using the right diagram.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

How much space is between the throttle cam and roller on carb linkage? If its 1/8 or just touching, open it up to about 1/4 inch and retest.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm still going with my original suggestion in your previous thread.Check your floats are not saturated.Check all needle and seats aren't worn.You said mech changed 2 needles,I wouldn't believe a word.Have you checked timing yet?And most important check parts he replaced are correct for your model.

kirmy22

Seaman

I will check this stuff and let you all know, thanks

Bartine

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't know the history of what your doing or what you've done, but it sounds like the floats aren't set correct, or leaking float valve letting the motor flood at idle.

kirmy22

Seaman

Well i checked the floats and they are ok,the space between the throttle cam and roller is good. One more bit of info. If you dont give it enough throttle to get the rpm,s up and run smooth it wont clear up and run smooth at a low speed it will just continue to run sickly, Its like you dont have a smooth low speed but once it kiks in it jumps right on plane, kina hard to go through a no wake zone.

kirmy22

Seaman

I think I found the problem I was rechecking the timing and had the throttle cable loose. I noticed my butterflies in my carbs are not opening very wide , if you move it to wot they are only opened about a quarter of the way, any ideas how I adjust them to get them to open all the way.

reynold460

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry to hear u have problems simalar to mine poor *** boat mechanics have had my boat with a 1984 115 hp inline to 3 boat shops in last year still same problem has problems taking off then if you do get it going to wot it will run there for about a minute then it will die down to3000 rpm you give the fuel bulb a squeeze and it takes back off for 30 seconds then dies out again i do have some fuel puddling in carbs also i have noticed since i have changed needles and seats in the carbs that i had a boat shop do to make sure they were set right but dont think they are i also changed stator,switch boxes,cleaned carbs,new fuel pump kit, all at the advice of boat shops and still have the same problem

j_martin

Admiral

This is one of the adjustments in the linkage and timing adjustment procedure. Get the book. Do it right. It'll run like a scalded dog.

Fire your mechanic. The reason nobody thought of this one is you said your "mechanic" overhauled the carburetors. One would assume he would put them back on the engine right. He didn't.

If I were you, I'd go through the carbs myself, putting in new gaskets, and then do the link-n-sync myself. Total cost including some needed new tools under $100, and you'll know it's right.

hope it helps
John

kirmy22

Seaman

Thanks John, I have a manuel and I bought a dial indicator and a timing light, going to do that today the only part im kina doughting myself on is getting the pointer set to 462, acourding to my manuel , timing should be set at 11 degrees ATDS and advance at 18 BTDC

j_martin

Admiral

It's really not rocket science. Basically you want to find the highest point of the piston travel, set yer indicator to 0, then find the point where the piston is .462" from that 0 set coming up toward the head. If nobody's messed with it, the timing pointer will probably be pointing right at .462 at that time. If it isn't, loosen the mounting and put it there.

11? ATDC is the preliminary idle timing set point. 18? BTDC is the WOT set point at cranking speed if you have an advance module on the engine. If the module is not there set it at 23?. The advance module would be wired to the same terminal as the bias jumper on the switchboxes. If there's any wire on those screws except the jumper, follow it to the advance module.

hope it helps
John

kirmy22

Seaman

Well i got all the link and sink done but I still have my problem I started with , flooding at idle , fuel still runs out the front of the carbs middle and bottom, tried resetting the floats and it still floods , any ideas why it is flooding runs great after you get it going and it burns that low speed fuel out. the needles seem to be working fine if you blow through the carbs while they are off they hold fine.