Looking for a product recomendation

Art Bernard

Banned
I would like to get a small generator (very small) that I can that I could hook into the boats electrical system for those really long days at anchor or pulled up on the beach. I'd like to be able to run the radio, plug in a fan, blender, coffiepot, etc... I do have a dual batt system but I'm thinking extended stays or overnight type of stuff. Is there a generator that I can run off the mixed gas in the boats tank?

Art

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Looking for a product recomendation

I had a small 500w portable honda generator. It was easy to move around but too little power to do much. If you're wanting to run off the premix gas, I don't know if you can find a 2-stroke generator. A 4-stroke would run needlessly smokey on that stuff.

sandersps

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont any firsthand with small gens but, I do recall seeing some at little sahara that were about the size of a lunch box( of course I eat like Jethro bodine so lets call it a six pack cooler). Being thatt small they might be running two stroke. I would suggest that if your gonna run any gen on your boat make sure to get a GFI adapter if the gen dosent already have it built in. I believe they were honda, check there site.

D

DJ

Be careful. If you find a 2-stoke generator, it would be AIR cooled.

Air cooled engines don't like outboard oil and visa versa.

haley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like the idea of it having its own fuel source. May mean it is a 4 stroke (less smoke / noise). Tapping into your main fuel tank may leave you open for a surprise when it is time to leave - not enough gas.

+1 on the GFI outlet

Be sure to run it in such a way that the CO2 (heavier than air) does not pool in the boat.

You may wish to check sailing catalogs / sites. Cruising sailboaters are always looking for ways to make power (wind, sun, gas).

jh