1988 60hp Evinrude weird wiring

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's an E60TLCCR and I can't find the fuse holder as shown as #39 on the following link:
http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/js...CatFilter=BRP&eCatSupFldr=supplier-100-005-EJ
At the main harness plug, that exits the motor, has wiring that doesn't match my factory service manual. There are 2 wires that are cut, one brown and one grey. Is this where the fuse holder used to be? This motor (my first) has been a struggle, due to my ignorance and the abuse by the former owner. Thru the help here, she's almost done! Thanks.
The wires at the plug are: Purple/blue, 2 greys (one cut), 2 browns (one cut), 2 blacks, yellow/red stripe, yellow, 2 reds. Some of these wires must be spliced together inside the plug, since it's an 8 pin plug. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

D

DJ

Re: 1988 60hp Evinrude weird wiring

It's ususally on the port side of the engine near the head.

The cut wires are probably: Brown=oil tank alarm-overheat alarm circuit, Grey=Tach.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

Post a pic because something doesn't add up, it seems many of the colors are way off.

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

002.jpg

002b.jpg

That one is a brown wire connector with nothing to connect to.
Wires are, left to right :
Red (spliced to black), didn't have red wire?)
Yellow/red stripe
Black
Red
Grey
Grey
Black/yellow stripe
Black
Brown
Purple
Purple

Last edited:

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

The cut wire on the left is grey, the cut wire on the right is brown. This is the way I rec'd the motor. Ya shoulda seen the other side!

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya think the fuse went between the 2 cut wires with the red shielding on them? I can't figure out what wire would be fused.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

According to the manual the fuse should go on the Red wire with purple stripe, then after the fuse should go to one of the red wires on the starter solenoid terminal (not the main battery terminal)

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Sixmark. Think I'm going to see if I can get a new harness, or rewire it myself. It's a real ratnest.