Help Needed: Broken Timesert in Starter Mount - 350 MPI

mhutchins

Cadet
Hey Guys,

As I was putting the finishing touches on my new motor, one of the starter bolts was not torquing up properly (yes I was using a torque wrench). When I removed the starter, this is what I found!

attachment.php

I bought this engine as a short block and heads and was finishing the assembly with plans to reinstall in the boat tomorrow...:mad: Is there a reasonable repair at this point, or should I (gulp) disassemble the engine and return the short block for a replacement? On close inspection it looks like the mount was repaired with a Timesert that was flush with the rail (there appeared to be Loctite red between the Timesert and the block), rather than sunk below the rail like its matching hole.

attachment.php

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• Bolt Hole Overview.jpg
    Bolt Hole Overview.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Matching Hole.jpg
    Matching Hole.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 0

mhutchins

Cadet
Re: Help Needed: Broken Timesert in Starter Mount - 350 MPI

That's what I thought, but I was hoping there was a magic cure I didn't know about.:facepalm:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thst block should have never been rebuilt. The blocks do not have threaded insterts in them from the factory. To drill oversize and install a threaded insert of any kind makes the wall to think on cast iron. Especially for a starter boss.

Sorry, no magic cures for that one.

Pete104

Lieutenant

Hope you bought from a "stand up company"! Did they do the "head work" also?

mhutchins

Cadet

I bought from City Motor Supply in San Antonio TX. They listened to my explanation and immediately checked stock for a replacement, handed over a new short block, gasket set and a set of brass freeze plugs. All at no charge and no argument. These guys have been in business for a number of years and were apologetic about the hassle for me. It was a PITA but they stood by their product. I can't prove that they did the repair or not, so I won't condem them for the timesert installation.

Yes, I bought finished heads from them but I took them apart, did a little pocket porting, changed the springs and retainers to accomodate a little more valve lift from the Vortec heads and bolted on 1.6 ratio roller rockers. I lapped all the valves to make sure I didn't ding any of the sealing surfaces in the valve seat from all my grinding in close proximity to the seats. Everything looks good to go.

Although it was a major hassle to start over again, I feel City Motor Supply treated me well and I would consider using them again in the future.

Once I get the boat up and running, my next project will be a cold air/fresh air intake system with a real air filter/flame arrestor such as this K&N unit.

Mike

Pete104

Lieutenant

Great to hear that there are companies that stand behind what they "sell" not just say, We wouldn't do that!
Sounds like you have your work cut-out for yourself.

Have fun!!

mhutchins

Cadet

Got the engine in last week and ran it briefly around the cove this weekend. It sounded great, ran well and didn't leak air/oil/water. :D

Unfortunately, Lake Travis is down 32' from the drought and I could barely power the boat back on to the lift. My boating season is over until the lake refills. :mad:

Mike