Newb needing floor replacement help..

I got a 1977 Bayliner Mosquito title says 15' but it measures 14'7"
Got it from a from an aquantances brother and never bothered to stand in it, I only did a compression check and watched it pee looking at some reciepts for new wheels n tires on the trailer, handed him the cash and drove away.
Took it out a couple times and felt a cpl small soft spots here and there. Figured it was good till the end of the season then I could start on it.
The back2back seats were from a bigger boat and the standing room was nil on the boat. I took the seats out and built some single jump seats with storage ect that made alot more room, unfortunately its also revealed alot more rot!!
So now I have a trip im leaving for on June 2nd about 10-11 days away.
I have pulled this boat in the garage took the plunge pulling up some carpet and drilling some 5" holes to take a peek. That turned into cutting and bashing out a 2 and a 1/2 ft sqare hole to get a better look.
Heres the thing...I have no Idea what Im doing!
Lol, I took some measurements and have came to the conclusion that I can essentialy covered the bad areas with 1 sheet of wood, and plan on useing the sheet of plywood as a template for how much floor im removing. I am a believer in doing things right but if I can make this a 3-4 yr fix thats fine with me.
All the foam is the pour in kind and some of it still feels like foam and not sponge.
So what I want to know is...
Can I cut away the most prominent rot then antifreez/borax it then sister in and glass new wood on the stringers, and pour in foam only where foam needs it most and still have a decent floor.
These are only my thoughts on how I think I may go about it. Please give me all the feed back you guys have.
Also, I am going to do away with all the carpet and rynho line the whole inside when done. Anyone got advice on common waterproof glue ply I can buy at the hardware store instead of spending 100 on a sheet?
And whats the scoop on this pour in foam how much does it cost and how does it work? expanding??
If you manage to read all of this thank you very much.

Re: Newb needing floor replacement help..

these are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_20110521_155950.jpg
    IMG_20110521_155950.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20110521_233217.jpg
    IMG_20110521_233217.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20110521_160002.jpg
    IMG_20110521_160002.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20110521_155941.jpg
    IMG_20110521_155941.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20110521_160104.jpg
    IMG_20110521_160104.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to the iBoats Dry Dock!

Sorry to be the bearer of Bad News! but... IF you want your boat to be SAFE you must remove your entire deck, and check the stringers, bulkheads and transom for wetness and rot. If the Foam is wet and saturated it MUST be removed, it cannot be dried out. A Shot in the Dark Guess-ti-mate for time and costs of this project would be 50-100 hours and 1,000 to 1,500 bucks. With all the rot I see in your deck I HIGHLY suspect your stringers and transom will be bad as well. Only a close inspection will tell the tale. A QUICK EASY CHEAP fix is NOT going to work on this boat. That is my opinion.

An Honest opinion is what I wanted-
Its a thousand dollar boat that I think I over paid for to begin with.
The more Im looking at it the more it looks like the the cap needs to be cut off and the "Entire floor" needs replaced along with stringers n foam.
Just out of curiosity, how much of your guesstimate is materials only?
Think I may just browse craigslist and find another hull and throw my merc on it.
Thanks, Mike.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

By the way, My name is MIKE too!!! So One Mike to another...If you don't want to spend the time, effort and money then your plan is solid. My guesstimate is based on Wood, Resin and Glass costs + any interior work, motor tune up etc. for a TOTAL restore. Wood, resin and Glass will run you approx. $1K. You could probably recoup 1/2 your costs on CL selling it as a Project boat. On the other hand...If you decide to restore it, it would last for YEARS, be better than factory and have the PRIDE in knowing you did a good job. It's tedious work, but not Brain Surgery. Basic Tools and Safety Gear. Depends if you want to be on the water this summer or next.