40hp Evinrude Lower Unit Rebuild... How do I get this Race out?

Aces_Up08093

Cadet
I had this all typed out, then I hit the wrong button, changed the page and lost it all so I'm just gonna be short...

The entire issue with the Lower Unit was the Pinion gear being completely seized in the bearing. The Gear shaft was very stubborn, but with some good ole' American persuasion I got her out. The rollers have welded themselves together, but I got it all out with 2 screw drivers and some persistence... The issue I'm having is how in the hell am I gonna get the Outer Race out? Both the retaining rings crumbled in my hands when I took em out, so this thing has to be seized beyond belief. Any suggestions? Special tools?

Also... Are these bearings universal? The Tapered roller bearing on the end of the prop shaft, could I just find a bearing w/ the same inner/outer race diameter and use that? Is there a universal bearing that fits generally all evinrude prop shafts?

One last question: Anybody know where I can find parts for this? It's a 1960 40hp Evinrude. I'm having a lot of trouble finding a place to get NEW parts... even Used parts for that matter!OuterBearingRace.jpg2011-05-21_23-06-51_120.jpgSnapRingBroke.jpgCakedBearing.jpgFilthyAssembly.jpg

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 40hp Evinrude Lower Unit Rebuild... How do I get this Race out?

Heat, and a slide-hammer dentpuller contraption.....and LOTS of patience.

Try marineengine.com fer the parts. Good luck.

<<)))(((>>