U Joint retainer ring install

mark gray

Cadet
Alpha one gen II. Everything was going great today, finally able to work on the boat for more than an hour at a time. Installed new gimbal bearing, trim sender/limiter, bellows on transom side, new shift cable outer, going together like clockwork. Biggest pain was getting shift cable end through new bellows...about 10 minutes. Even getting water hose installed took less than 15 minutes for both sides. Couldn't have been happier.

Now the problem. Can't get retainer ring over u joint bellows. Have the tool. Used a little Power Lube...still no luck. Have hinge pins out so I can push the bell housing in.

Merc manual says to install the gimbal housing in first, then bell side. Now I'm seeing some say bell side first. I'm not sure what you would "push" against if you did bell side first. Anyway, I need help...suggestions...orders SOMETHING that will help get retainer in.

Push or Pound with tool???

thanks in advance!

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: U Joint retainer ring install

with the bell housing loose, make sure the bellows is seated fully in the groove on the bellhousing

then install the hinge pins before you try to install the retainer ring

with the bellhousing stationary it will be much easier for you to slide the ring in, light pound with a hammer may be neccessary - and yes power tune is a good lube to aid in installation

once it is in, measure the distance from the outer edge of the bellhousing to the ring and likewise on the drive, should be 2" (i think)

mark gray

Cadet
Re: U Joint retainer ring install

Thanks Dubs! Stuck the pins in, gave it another shot of power tune... bam bam bam...in there like swimwear! 15 minutes...next!