Water sloshing in the toons.

James R

Commander
Just bought a 1990 Godfrey 20ft. In very nice condition no dents. Whilst backing up my son noticed sloshing from one or maybe both toons. Is there a drain plug in these toons.

Re: Water sloshing in the toons.

Our pontoon had sloshing toons when we got it - we had someone drill drain holes and put in plugs. No more sloshing : )

Mi duckdown

Commander

There could posibly drain plugs. But the question IS, how is water getting into the tubes?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Ya, putting drian plugs in the tubes is a band-aid fix, you need to find the leaks and have them fixxed.

There should be bungs on top of the tubes but they really aren't big enough to get water out unless you use a really small hose, the correct way to fix this is to take it a welder and have the tubes air checked and the leaks fixxed.

You should have him raise the front of the boat and drill a small hole in the back of each section until they drain then air check the boat, repair the leaks and fill the drain holes and you are good to go, they will drain faster if you remove the plugs on top of the tubes.

Your boat should have 3 sections for each tube, the nose cone, front and rear with a baffle in between each section, normally leaks are on the rear of the back brackets or on the front of the front brackets since this is a major stress point, you may even be able to see a crack if you look close but they could be anywhere so air checking is your only way to know.

The holes can easily be on top of the tubes as water splashes everywhere under the boat and can get on top of the tubes.

I am the repair guy at Bennington so I have fixxed alot of boats over the years.

James R

Commander

You guys are wealth of information. Thanks 5150abf for the heads up detail. Fortunately I have a real experienced aluminum welder available.
Many thanks everyone.

bigdee

Commander

It may not be anything to worry about....I think I have the same boat and year as you, it is a Godfrey sweetwater 20' and has had water sloshing in tubes ever since I purchased it 5 years ago. It stays in the water all summer and has not gotten any worse. If you look at the top of the tubes you should see VENTED plugs. I believe it is possible these vents take in a SMALL amount of water when the boat is launch at the boat ramp. As soon as the tubes hit the water they are cooled creating a vacuum inside them. Due the angle of the ramp the stern end of the tubes are briefly submerged when backing down the ramp allowing water to be sucked through the vent. This is just my theory but I believe it holds water (no pun intended) If I used a ramp frequently I would suggest extending the vents with plastic tubing.

carrie777

Cadet

I had water in mine as well. We drilled a SMALL hole in the center lowest point on the toons, in the back, and 4 hours later all of the water had drained. We then sealed the holes with jb weld and went back over that with marine silicone, It has held up pretty good. We found a small crack in the top of one of the toons as well and sealed it the same way. And no more water!

bigdee

Commander

It may not be anything to worry about....I think I have the same boat and year as you, it is a Godfrey sweetwater 20' and has had water sloshing in tubes ever since I purchased it 5 years ago. It stays in the water all summer and has not gotten any worse. If you look at the top of the tubes you should see VENTED plugs. I believe it is possible these vents take in a SMALL amount of water when the boat is launch at the boat ramp. As soon as the tubes hit the water they are cooled creating a vacuum inside them. Due the angle of the ramp the stern end of the tubes are briefly submerged when backing down the ramp allowing water to be sucked through the vent. This is just my theory but I believe it holds water (no pun intended) If I used a ramp frequently I would suggest extending the vents with plastic tubing.

I went out on lake today and observed something else. At full throttle in rough water I noticed that water gets splashed over the vent plugs quite frequently maybe this could be another way that water is getting in. Has anyone else experienced this and found a remedy?

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went out on lake today and observed something else. At full throttle in rough water I noticed that water gets splashed over the vent plugs quite frequently maybe this could be another way that water is getting in. Has anyone else experienced this and found a remedy?

On my 96 SweetWater (Godfry Marine) the top vent plugs were replaced with solid ones. Also, lower rear drain plugs were installed by previous owner.

Now, during my seasonal systems check, there's a nice woosh of air when I pull the plugs. Tells me everything is AOK.

I have a 2006 2586 Sweetwater with an Yamaha 115 that gets some water in the tubes occasionally. I remove the plugs from the top of the tube and use a 3/8" plastic tube with a swedge type brass fitting attached (for weight) to get it to the bottom of the tube and then siphon out the water. The plugs were hard to remove the first time but now that they have been opened a few times, they are easily removed. I can do this with it on my boat lift or whenever I put it on the trailer to move it around. I have owned all sorts of boats and this is the most practical and fun to use. Toons aren't as sleek and fashionable as a sport cruiser but man they work well.