shifting problem

87galaxy

Cadet
ok here is the promblem. when boat is running it is very hard to push it into reverse and you cannot push it into forward at all it will engage and run in reverse but cannot get it to engage into forward it just revs up as if it were in nuetral. the motor is a mercrusier 165 i/o alpha one outdrive.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: shifting problem

have you tried disconnecting the remote shift cable at the engine to isolate the problem?? - either remote shift cable or lower shift cable binding/stretched

87galaxy

Cadet

i dont know the real names lol sorry kind of new to this boat motor thing but i removed the cable that has the brass barrel thing on it and the shifter shifts fine and will shift nicely into reverse like that while running but when you put that cable back on and try to shift it. the throttle handle will barely move you have to basically jerk on it. does seem like some kind of binding like you said but how do i really know. the cables dont seem to look binded in any way

dubs283

Vice Admiral

it sounds like your lower shift cable is the issue and is quite common to have them fail

on the shift bracket at the engine remove the top cable, then with the engine running shift the drive by hand at the shift plate assy on the engine (your hand will replace the shift cable coming from the helm) - push aft for FWD, pull fore for REV, NEU is in the middle

if you find the shifting is very difficult then the issue is definitely your lower shift cable or a shift linkage/drive issue

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

You have two cables involved - a control cable from the shifter at the helm back to the engine - and a shift cable from the engine to the outdrive. You need to see which one, if either is binding. It could even be your shifter itself.

87galaxy

Cadet

ok guys so just messed with the cables. when the control cable is on the shifter doesnt want to move. when it is unhooked and its just the lower cable is hooked up the shifter shifts into fwd and rev very smoothly. (this is while boat is not running). and i did unhook the lower cable and pull it and push it by hand you can hear it click in the outdrive from fwd to n to rev.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

If I am understanding you correctly, (and I may not be! :confused: ) , then it sounds like the control cable is shot.

Disconnect both cables at the shift plate by the engine and leave the control cable connected to the shifter up front - then try moving your shifter from forward to neutral and reverse. If there is a bind, then disconnect the control cable at the shifter. If the shifter works fine with no cables attached, then your control cable is bad.

87galaxy

Cadet

ok i unhooked both cables from engine and the shifter moved freely. Then i hooked only the control cable back up to the engine and the shifter was binding again so i am assuming the control cable is bad??

dubs283

Vice Admiral

i hooked only the control cable back up to the engine and the shifter was binding again so i am assuming the control cable is bad??

that would make sense

if you have that cable disconnected from both ends (engine and remote) you may find it very difficult to move by hand

there should be a number stamped on the outer case of the cable close to one end with a foot designation or inch designation - this will tell you how long to order the next cable

87galaxy

Cadet

thanks, ill order it replace it and post up the outcome. hope its a good one lol