1957 evinrude sportwin starts but stalls right away?

Niagara Mike

Cadet
Hi guys, Im having some trouble with my 57 evinrude, I can get it to start right up with the choke pulled,,,but it stalls out right away like its not getting gas..I pump the thing on the tank,..pull the cord and she fires right up like it wants to rock and roll but then she dies.. it seems like it wants to start, the motor has good spark,,,its getting gas I think...

any ideas,,guys? I have no clue..

Mike

Last edited:
D

DJ

Re: 1957 evinrude sportwin starts but stalls right away?

The symptoms point toward a clogged up carburetor.

Niagara Mike

Cadet

so the best coarse of action would be? Im a total newbie here mate.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like it's time to overhaul the carb. Take it off and completely disassemble, clean all passages and jets, reassemble using a rebuild kit.

Niagara Mike

Cadet

I think its going in for repairs when I have some extra cash.... sux..it wants to go... it rips right up like hello.... then after a few seconds goodbye.. I have no clue what Im doing... I have one boat all apart in my garage, ( redoing the transom in my 14.5' Grew)..... my wife's not to happy that we have 2 boats and neither are water ready.... = me in the dog house.

I have had this motor since I was a kid. it was my grandfathers.its never seen winter or cold always kept in doors......I gave it to my father when I moved to school in Toronto and he trashed it left it in the corner of his shop for years and only starting it once maybe twice a year for the last 8 years or so.

Im lost....I have pulled and pulled and pulled I think I'm done.

Mike