Need more sun protection on the boat... had a melanoma. 2003 Bayliner 195BR

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer
This

2011-04-27%2010.49.57.jpg

Quickly turned into a HUGE deal last month.

Now I'm sitting here typing this with full clothing and a big hat on.

Right now the boat has this kind of bimini.

boat10.jpg

What do you think would be the best way to get a bit more sun protection? Most of the time I'm out here alone so it really doesn't matter how stupid it looks.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Need more sun protection on the boat... had a melanoma. 2003 Bayliner 195BR

spf 30 every couple hours

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

There are clothes now available that have up to a 50 spf, long sleeves, long pants, and a wide brim hat. Look into a bimini that covers from the current front edge all the way back, they could be made to zip together for convenience. Use a sunscreen on your face to protect from reflected sun rays as they can be just as harmful.

That stuff isn't to be ignored, but you can live with it if you are careful.

Good luck

Thajeffski

I have aways worn sun bock. Ever since I was a baby. The problem is I'm too white! Even applying 70 every 30 mins still means I get a slight burn! :)

Sikiguya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The SPF code is very misunderstood. It is the same protection regardless of number. The number only implies the time it is good for. SPF-30 means you must re-apply every 30 minutes. Getting a higher SPF does not mean more protection. Get a digital watch with an alarm and apply when you are suppose to.

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Look into a bimini that covers from the current front edge all the way back, they could be made to zip together for convenience.

My wife is an Irish white-skinned, freckle-faced, red-head.

So we did this to our boat. Back half zips off and on leaving the front half. We end up leaving the back half on all the time. Works fine at WOT and doesn't flap at all.

It cost me a pretty penny, but the upholstery guy and I spent several weeks just going over the design and plans, and changing it a couple times along the way. Worth every penny to not have to find one of those spots on my wife!!!

attachment.php

blifsey

You can get double biminis that are like 2 hooked together front to back. I've seen them more often on pontoon and deck boats. Another option I've seen if you are anchored up is shade screens that attach to top and pull down to the side. And, as others have mentioned religious use of sunscreen and special clothing.

Scooper - love the looks of your Glastron! We had an '02 GX205 until last summer and loved it. We toyed with idea of tower several times but kids lost interest in boarding so never got one.

scooper77515

Uh...it is not a Glastron. It is a Clastron.

A much better boat than Glastron ever put out...:D

Been a really good boat so far.

Thajeffski

You can get double biminis that are like 2 hooked together front to back. I've seen them more often on pontoon and deck boats. Another option I've seen if you are anchored up is shade screens that attach to top and pull down to the side.

Screens that pull down sound awesome! do you know what they are officially called?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I'll give you something to think about.
The question that you have asked is kind of like a smoker who has just had part of his lung taken out asking what the best way to smoke is.
Staying out of the sun is the correct answer that the doctor probably gave you.
That said, being a hypocritical :rolleyes: melanoma survivor myself, protective clothing, SPF gazillion, and limiting my midday activities in the sun is what I do because I like to fish and camp. The correct choice would be to give them up, but I choose to be slightly suicidal.
Melanoma can kill you, as it does over 7000 people a year.

blifsey

Uh...it is not a Glastron. It is a Clastron.

A much better boat than Glastron ever put out...:D

Been a really good boat so far.

Funny! Is that just photo or did part of G come off? The lettering on back of rear seat came off a letter at a time and we had fun with the names it created. When we traded, it was just a "tron" For a while, it was kind of vulgar "astron".

blifsey

Screens that pull down sound awesome! do you know what they are officially called?

Not sure what official name would be. I've heard similar tops called "full enclosures" or "camping enclosures" if they go around all sides and back. The one I saw was similar to below but did not have a back on it and instead of clear side panels they were a screen type material that would make shade if sun was coming in at angle. A marine canvas shop could probably make them up for you.

Sea%20Ray%20180br%20full%20enclosure03.jpg

oldjeep

Admiral

Not sure what official name would be. I've heard similar tops called "full enclosures" or "camping enclosures" if they go around all sides and back. The one I saw was similar to below but did not have a back on it and instead of clear side panels they were a screen type material that would make shade if sun was coming in at angle. A marine canvas shop could probably make them up for you.

Sea%20Ray%20180br%20full%20enclosure03.jpg

No offense, but how would that be different than just staying home inside and saving yourself the gas money?

Thajeffski

No offense, but how would that be different than just staying home inside and saving yourself the gas money?

Well the one he pictured, I assume would be for rain protection and so you could sleep on it at night.

What I'd like is something like that, but I'd really only have to have it closed on two sides or even just one side depending on where the sun was coming from.

The DR didn't tell me to QUIT but he did say 8 hour days on the water are OVER.

What I don't understand, is that they are telling me I'm ok, they got ALL of it and it's good.

It took 30 years (well for me to notice it) for that spot to show up..and I did get some serious burns once or twice. Now of course I'm going to be MORE ontop of it than ever (no shorts/tshirts). Does this really mean because I'm white (and I'm not even that pale) that I should hide inside all day? If so that sucks, I love being outdoors.

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Find or get a convertable-top made. Total protection except when you get out from under it. I've had more than 40 Basil-Cells burnt/cut off me. Now it's long-sleeves and hats for me.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

This

2011-04-27%2010.49.57.jpg

Quickly turned into a HUGE deal last month.

Now I'm sitting here typing this with full clothing and a big hat on.

Right now the boat has this kind of bimini.

boat10.jpg

What do you think would be the best way to get a bit more sun protection? Most of the time I'm out here alone so it really doesn't matter how stupid it looks.

Are you serious???... I've had bigger hurties than that on my nu-nu!!!

Perhaps you should donate your boat to a charity (me) and become a nocturnal for the rest of your life?

You would prolly die if you saw my fine chestnut tan that I keep 9 months out of the year.

blifsey

I wasn't recommending a full enclosure. It was just closest pic to one I've seen where the back is open and the sides are just a sun blocking screen that is put up when anchored. The pic also showed a double bimini.

Thajeffski

Are you serious???... I've had bigger hurties than that on my nu-nu!!!

Perhaps you should donate your boat to a charity (me) and become a nocturnal for the rest of your life?

You would prolly die if you saw my fine chestnut tan that I keep 9 months out of the year.

whatever you say mang..

this is what it turned into ..

2011-05-18%2015.04.10.jpg

Dr says high probability of another one popping up, stop getting sunburns and go out in the morning or evenings.

that stinks, most fun boating time IMO is 2pm-5pm. not 5-8

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

thajeffski,How old is that blemish?I have one just like it above my ankle and its gettin bigger.Randy

scooper77515

Damn!!! Just showed my redhead freckle faced wife that thing (stitches picture) and she is FREAKIN OUT!

As for the Clastron, that one chunk from the G is missing on both sides. The wife says she can see where GLASTRON was once emblazoned on the seats, and someone has removed them chemically, so it appears previous owner had a GLASTRON and was embarrassed, and removed all traces. Well, most traces...