Newbie looking for advice

klando

Recruit
I've always wanted a boat and am now doing some research to find what's right for me. The neighbor has an abandoned boat, it says 'hydroflight' on side, has a Mercury I/O, a sticker with 95 on it. it looks to be in good shape, haven't seen him move it in 2 1/2 years but the hull is clean, interior is in good shape in spite of being out in the Colorado weather for quite awhile. Doesn't seem to have been used much, set up for water skiing. I'm not interested in water skiing, just fishing and cruising. It's a deep-V with an open hull. I want to get a good look at it and make an offer and don't know where to start. I think it's a nasty divorce situation and figure I can negotiate a good deal now. Any suggestions?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Newbie looking for advice

Welcome to iboats, Klando. There is so much to look at. Engine siezed-up? Compression?<br />The deck,is it solid when you walk on it?<br />Do a search here for "buying". I think it will give you a night's worth of reading on the subject of finding a good used boat.<br />To retype it all would keep me up past my bedtime, but it's in here somewhere.<br />But your guess that it could be just sitting due to a nasty devorce,is as valid as it having a blown connecting rod,or transom rot.<br />I hope you are right. <br />And I hope you get a good deal on it, if they want to sell.<br />In closing, if you DO get it or another boat that has been sitting for over a year, be sure to open a thread "I got my toy"or something. And ask what to do to get it ready for H2O.

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Klando, one thing for sure, you have to point out boat has been sitting for more than 1 year and it will take some money to have it running again. Even if it's minor things, you will have to spend some money. <br />Just let him know about it and deal with price, he cannot ask very much. I am no expert, but I mess with boats here and there and one thing I learned the hard way....it's boat that have been sitting for a while, they'll need some TLC.<br /><br />Val

MITCH WELCH

Seaman Apprentice

Agree with 12 footer and Valv. My advice is buyer beware! Any outboard that has been sitting for 2 1/2 years is going to need a lot of attention to make it water ready. Also, you mentioned the boat has been sitting outside in the weather - I'm sure the weather gets pretty nasty there in your neck of the woods. Was it properly covered? Personally, I think it sounds like a possible money pit. Since you're new at the game - have someone knowledgeable check it out before you buy - even if it means paying a few bucks to do so. I'd rather be out a few bucks now other than a lot of bucks later! ;)

oar master

Seaman Apprentice

give it a good look over.make sure the deck is solid. if u find soft spots, chances are the stringers underneath are shot too. a dirty, nasty, expensive, time consuming repair. make sure there's no water in the lower unit. drain some out, if it looks milky there's a problem. unscrew the petcocks on the manifoold{s} & engine. see if any antifreeze drains out. if not it could be it wasen't winterized properly. look at the engine. if u see a lot of rust it was probably left out uncovered. if your not familiar with boats, take it to a boat mechanic & get his opinion. boats are expensive enough to maintain without ending up with a lemon. good luck.

klando

Recruit

Wow, you guys are quick! I expected to be sitting for awhile before hearing anything...Thanks...The last year registered was 95 so it could be worse than I thought and it hasn't been covered at all, looks like it's been used for storage...if I can find the guy (he's been missing for a few weeks, house going into foreclosure), I'll check it out really well. Think I'll start looking elsewhere too. You have a great site here, I'll be back... :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Looking elsewhere sounds like a very good idea to me, Klando. There must have been a reason you neighbor stopped using that boat, and it has had seven years to mature into scrap.<br /><br />A good first boat is one that is usable right now, but can benefit greatly by some sweat equity. It is also very inexpensive, but not too good to be true.<br /><br />Decide what you can afford to spend before it is ready for commissioning (buy plus improve costs) and what you know how to do or can reasonably learn how to do.<br /><br />Many boats cannot tolerate neglect, which includes sitting in the weather for years without maintenance. Aluminum boats often can survive this and are reasonably easy to repair and improve. Outboards are much easier to replace than I/O or inboard, but usually harder and more expensive to repair.<br /><br />Think about those things, then start a search.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

rwise

Captain

klando<br />you said "deep v" what type of fishing do you do? where I go you will not get a deep v near! just my 2 cents, concider the whole package, even if it is a good price, can be put on the water with ease, will it go/do what you want!<br />Richard