Old gas

Johndhii

Seaman
Ok I have a 1989 150stlcem evinrude. When I bought it the VRO was not hooked up.
Though it was new, the owner never hooked up the tank for fear that it would go and cause the lower half of the motor to go again.

Last year I bought the boat, noticed it ran rough, took it to a mechanic, he replaced the stator, the control module, spark plugs and one power pack. The compression averaged 105 across the board. He then told me I had too much water in the gas and that it was bad, so I drained the fuel, replaced it, then found that the water seperator was old as heck. I also hooked up the VRO and left the premix in just in case it wasnt working. I replaced the fuel filter and lines to the motor at the same time, mind you this was around july. I went to start it it ran but still ran rough. A friend told me to add some seafoam to it, and it would clean the carbs. I was also told it acted as a stabilizer to keep the fuel from going bad. I did this about three months after putting the new gas in.

I took it to another mechanic, and he told me that the carbs needed rebuilding, and the kill switch needed replacing. Was told the VRO was working fine. Replaced the kill switch and rebuilt the carbs, replaced the lines in the motor as well. I put on the muffs and it started right up, still a little rough but ran, with a little throttle then stayed running at idle after it warmed up. I follow the startup procedures that I was told by the new mechanic.

Took the boat to the water, went to start it and it ran for a bit then stopped working. Got it home, let it sit a week, hooked up the muffs and it started right up, primer is working fine and it stayed running fine after warming up. Though it did smoke alot. Took the fuel line off and got a sample just to see and the gas is still blue, no water in it or anything and clean. My question is, could the gas have gone bad? Could I have a bad mix now that the VRO is hooked up?

Any advice would be appreciated

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Old gas

Seafoam won't clean the carbs, it's designed for carbon removal inside the cylinders. It also won't "stabilize" the fuel. Three months is a long time to store fuel without stabilizer in it. When you say the motor did "smoke alot", that's the Seafoam doing it's job, plus, you are doubling up the oil mixture running 50:1 and the VRO system at the same time. This will make any motor run "rough". My advice...disconnect the VRO, run the motor with fresh fuel and mixed at 50:1 with a good quality TCW oil.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Old gas

Seafoam is good stuff but yes, only for cleaning. The first time I used it was 5-6 years ago on my old 93' Chev. Blazer. The smoke that rolled of it had the wife, the kids, and the animals running for cover!:eek: You will most likely smoke until that old gas is used up. But you should have clean cylinders!;)