Mercury 60hp EFI 2006 tilt motor amps

maskinmester

Recruit
Hi.

Having problem with my mercury 60hp EFI 2006.

20 amp fuse blows when first second use of tilt swicth.
Replacing fuse and tilt run for a few day, and then blown fuse again.
But in a 25 amp fuse for emergency.. Pulled the motor out of the water to locate problem.

Connected amp probe to tilt motor wire and motor draw high amps.
Motor draw 24-25 amps when tilting motor up and down.
Sometimes even higher amps during first second start of tilt motor.

Disconnected engine from tilt motor to run tilt motor without load.
Amps up 20 amps down 24

Any ideas?

Sorry for my english.

Re: Mercury 60hp EFI 2006 tilt motor amps

Sounds like your pump is about to go out, the down circuit should never be higher than the up. This is because the down circuit is assisted by gravity. I would pull the pump and see if their is some crud on the armatures/magnets/brushes. Make sure you get a new oring for the pump is your going to DIY. It should say in the manual what the max amps are...

maskinmester

Recruit

Thanks.

I have the manual but cant find rated max amps. Anyone who have this information?

I didn't see it either, but generally the fuse in the circuit is allotted about 30% higher, to protect against surges. So I would expect to see about 10-14 amps. But this is just a guess.

maskinmester

Recruit

Hi.
Pulled motor and connected power.. Motor runs with 6- 6,3 amps one way and 8-8,3 amps other way without pump connected.

I don't understand. You have an ammeter connected in series without a load. What is your reading (with a fully charged battery) + to one lead and - to the other, then vice versa. Pull out the armature and inspect for corrosion, get into your manual and check to see about the short to ground tests.