Harmonic balancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bsaric

Recruit
Volvo penta 3.0. I need to re install the harmonic balancer /oscillation damper. It has like a rtv gasket type material on it, is that what is used to hold it on? Also does it only slide On so far or how far is enough so belts line up. Also do tou use a rubber mallet to press it on? Thanks for any help in advance.

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Harmonic balancer

That 3.0 might not have a bolt hole in the crank snout for the ^^^ installation tool. If the engine is out you and tip it on end, so the fly wheel side is down, and hammer it on.

I usually heat/freeze things like that. Pop the balancer in the oven at 200* for an hour and freeze the end of the crank with a chunk of dry ice (wear heavy gloves) for 10 minutes or so. While you are finishing up chillin' the crank, have someone else run in and grab the balancer, then quickly remove the dry ice and slip the balancer on. You have to be quick and slip it on in 1 smooth motion as both parts will equalize temperature fast, probably 5-10 seconds. 1 time I fudged up and had to pull it apart again, then start over. It's best to mark the parts, so you know exactly where the balancer "clocks" with the keyway, so you can line it up and slip it on.

On my Mercruiser 140HP (GM marine 4cyl like your Volvo 3.0), I don't remember how far I seated it. Not sure if it "bottomed out" or if I just leveled it with the end of the crank,,, but all the pulleys lined up perfect.

BTW, if this were 2 small parts you could pop the center one in the freezer to shrink it, but that's a bit too cumbersome with an entire engine. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.