Engine Stalling-'86 Mercruiser 4.3L v6 205 hp

The 86

Cadet
Hey everyone,

To be proactive this year I went ahead and changed the impeller in the outdrive, fuel filter, spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor.

Now, I went to start the engine and at first it would turn but not start all the way. Then after letting it sit for a few minutes I went to start it again and it started but then stalled. Each time after it would start and the stall almost immediately.

I checked the spark plug wires and they were all on tight.

Seems as if theres not enough fuel getting through? Any troubleshooting or suggestions would be great! Thank you.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Engine Stalling-'86 Mercruiser 4.3L v6 205 hp

pump the throttle twice before starting??

The 86

Cadet

Yeah a few times.... I've heard after putting in a new fuel filter this may be the case? Or is it something else....

dubs283

Vice Admiral

could be the carb bowl is empty, have you tried priming the carb with fresh gas??

also, try having a helper pump the throttle while you look down the carb to see if you have a nice double squirt of fuel from the accel pump

a little gas in a dish soap bottle allows you to fill the float bowl via the vent, and squirt a tiny bit down the throat for quick "pop off" of the engine

The 86

Cadet

Sounds good, I'll try in the morning. And will keep you posted. Yeah seems a little weird becuase it ran fine when we put it away in the fall, so I thought it was someting I had done with the tune up.... Anywho, thank you guys

The 86

Cadet

Think it could be the shifting mechanism that makes it think it is in forward? How would I adjust that?

Bondo

Staff member

Think it could be the shifting mechanism that makes it think it is in forward? How would I adjust that?

Ayuh,... I kinda Doubt it, but if it were so, there ain't no adjusting it,...
You'd be looking at Replacin' the lower shift cable...

The 86

Cadet

When tried to bypass the shifting mech that did not help any.

So the longer I let it sit the better it turns over and slightly longer it idles, about 15 seconds....

I bet its a fuel issue.... I cannot seperate the fuel line from the carb to change the carb filter, as i turn the nut the line turns with it too, almost beginning to kink the fuel line...

Any other thoughts are welcome! Thanks again.

Bondo

Staff member

I cannot seperate the fuel line from the carb to change the carb filter, as i turn the nut the line turns with it too, almost beginning to kink the fuel line...

Ayuh,... Are ya using 2 wrenches, 1 on each nut,..??

The 86

Cadet

Trying. .......tight spot with other fuel line hookup right there.... hopefully I can get it apart and that solves it.... beautiful day for boat work!!!!!

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When it dies do you lose spark or fuel? Do you leave the throttle open past idle while it warms up? May have to hold it around 1000/1500 for a few seconds after it starts...

The 86

Cadet

I am not sure whether it is spark or fuel, how do you tell?

I have the throttle rev'd a little when starting, as usual. When it starts, which it hasn't since yesterday morning it dies amost immediately... It turns, revs, and dies.

I was able to replace the carb filter and that didn't solve the issue...

I'm thinking that because it was running fine in the fall it must be something that happened between chaning the cap and rotor and/or fuel filter pump...

But how do you tell whether you lose spark or fuel?

The 86

Cadet

Well I didn't notice any fuel shooting in the carb when the throttle was put down. Not that I knew exactly where to look but didn't see any action. So I think we were at least able to narrow it down for the mechanics. I believe I will be taking it in this week to be looked at. Thanks again everyone for your help.

jdeeewp

Cadet

Any luck in the past month?

I have the same engine and a stalling problem. Probably not the same issue as mine will idle all day but dies at higher RPM's, but still Interested!

Thanks,

bds85466

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not trying to contribute to a possible resurrection of an old thread (though it is less than 60 days old)...but.............:redface:

Yeah seems a little weird becuase it ran fine when we put it away...

This happens to me every year. Start it up in the summer and it runs great for like a minute or two. Then it just dies....

Try to start it again, starts up for a few seconds and then dies again. Then it won't even start after cranking forever, even after working the throttle etc.

Then I get that overwhelming sinking feeling of concern and a lot of wtf's. I start looking around and it dawns on me that every winter when I put it away I close an inline fuel valve. WHY? I don't know. So then I open that up and crank it for like 10 seconds and it pops off perfectly and I remember how big of an idiot I am.:facepalm: I've since learned what a kink or blockage in the fuel system would be like.

Anyone who bothered reading my dumb story realize that no, I didn't run all the stabilized gas out of the floats when I winterized?:eek:....oops. big deal?