Which is better? Pourable transoms

kd7isf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

I have been reading a lot about the pourable transom epoxy mixes being used on this and other boards and I think it will be the way I go about replacing the transom on my '74 Thompson....

There seem to be 3 major brands out there: Sea-Cast, Nida-Bond, and Arjay 6011

Does anybody have a suggestion on which is best, and more importantly, WHY you think your chosen brand is best?

Thanks!!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Which is better? Pourable transoms

I'm from the old school....time tested and proven...stick with wood and polyester resins..

CarTuner

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Which is better? Pourable transoms

Hi all,

I have been reading a lot about the pourable transom epoxy mixes being used on this and other boards and I think it will be the way I go about replacing the transom on my '74 Thompson....

There seem to be 3 major brands out there: Sea-Cast, Nida-Bond, and Arjay 6011

Does anybody have a suggestion on which is best, and more importantly, WHY you think your chosen brand is best?

Thanks!!!!

All 3 of those are polyester based I believe, not epoxy. I used both Nida-Bond and Arjay for my rotted stringers. Both of those products are identical. They use ceramic spheres in the mixture to add strength. I could be wrong, but I think Sea-Cast differs in that it uses fiberglass strands. Sea-Cast is also much more expensive than the other 2.

The Nida-Bond/Arjay material was farily easy to work with, and turned out great. The stringers now are rock solid and will never rot again. The material takes a screw very well when cured, and is VERY hard to crack and break.