testing tool - tell me your thoughts

I dont live near the lake so it is hard to drive back and forth. Will a 55 gallon plastic drum filled with water work? I was thinking of setting the drive in the barrell and testing. Any better ideas.....

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: testing tool - tell me your thoughts

Inboard I do not know outboard sure done it tons of times just make sure the barrel keeps water in it

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class

That will work fine. If it's an outboard. That is how my Dad and I do it. Like Navigator_Victory said just don't let the water go down to far.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

On old style OMC drives, I run them in a cut off barrel, just keep it full of water. On all the newer ones you can use muffs on.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Is there a reason you aren't using muffs or flushing adapter on older stringer drives?

studdy05

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well if you aren't at the lake and you are testing a sea water pump to see if it is actually picking up the water from the outdrive then muffs or a flushing adapter wont do. It's ugly, but in an emergency it works. Once I ran to Wal Mart and bought the biggest plastic tub they make and bailing wired around the top a few loops to add some strength and dipped a stringer to test to see if a pickup line was clogged after I lost a screen. Ugly, but I wasn't trying to marry it.