Trim problems

down45

Cadet
After storing my boat over the winter I cannot get the trim to raise. It has been in the lowest position through the winter. Mild climate. I thought it might be the battery so I bought a new one then I replaced the switch but still when I press it to go down I hear a click but when I press it to go up not even a click. I need to raise the motor so I can move the boat how do I manually raise the motor. I tried by hand but it seems stuck By reading on the net I see that there is a manual release somewhere, but where ? 1979 115 evinrude outboard

Help me please....

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Trim problems

I just finished dealing with mine- a 1978 Johnson 85hp.
My manual release screw is hidden inside a hole on the starboard transom bracket. I turned just twice, and heard the air escape. Then, manually raise motor and flip the trailer bracket or prop up some other way. While up, unscrew the tilt/trim fluid filler screw. The fluid level should be at the hole, almost pouring out. If not, fill. I am not 100% sure but yours may be a manual bleed, so after filling and rescrewing filler screw, lower, then manually raise, the lower. All the while in between, check and refill fluid until full. After repeating the down/up/down process a few times, you may hear a gurgling sound coming from the fluid reservoir....then try your switch again. I did the above, and now all is well. At first after filling, the motor would not tilt up, but after manually moving up and down a few times it finally worked.
Let me know how it goes!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

First off, if you replaced the switch you didn't wire it backwards, did you? There is a solenoid for up only on your mtr and that is what you might hear clicking. Try finding the wires that go to the t/t mtr. Run 12 volts to the blue wire and the other to the black wire to grd and see what happens. Blue is up. Try the same thing with the green wire. If you hear nothing out of the t/t mtr it could be bad. If you can get at it, give it a few raps with a hammer. You may have a stuck brush in it.

D

DJ

First off, if you replaced the switch you didn't wire it backwards, did you? There is a solenoid for up only on your mtr and that is what you might hear clicking. Try finding the wires that go to the t/t mtr. Run 12 volts to the blue wire and the other to the black wire to grd and see what happens. Blue is up. Try the same thing with the green wire. If you hear nothing out of the t/t mtr it could be bad. If you can get at it, give it a few raps with a hammer. You may have a stuck brush in it.

As stated.

If it's a 3 wire system, it's as follows.

Blue=UP

Black or Red=Common

Green=Down

down45

Cadet

it is a three wire system. The switch I bought is on/off/on So blue went to the top red in the middle and green to the bottom. The clicking I here is not coming from the motor but from under the dash at the relays I think it is the relays. I followed the wires from the trim motor goes to this box under the dash and then to the switch.

D

DJ

Switch the relays around. It's the easiest way to check them.

down45

Cadet

I found the screw and boy was it hard to turn but did. Raised the motor just enough to move the limit rod up to the outer hole but I noticed now that there is a drip coming from somwewhere I can't really see. I'll go out with a light and see if I can tell where it is coming from Clear strong smelling oil. Probably hydrolic fluid. Just came to me. I guess I should tighten the manual release screww. That is where the fluid is probably coming from. :redface:

down45

Cadet

Now that I have raised the very heavy, I may add, motor and locked the clip in place to hold it up and then tightened the manual realease screw will the motor stay up if I release the clip so I can test the down switch ?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Hopefully when you turned out the manual release valve, you simply turned it out two (2) turns. THis is normal procedure due to the fact that there is a retaining snap ring there, where if you back that valve out too far, the valve O Ring runs into the snap ring which damages the O Ring, adding to your problem. Check it for leakage.

With the engine raised, remove the reservoir fill screw and fill the reservoir to overflowing if needed, then replace the fill screw.

The question poised above by other members pertaining to the wires leading to the PTT electric motor. Is your motor a 3 wire or a 2 wire electric motor?

EDIT a few minutes later: In checking my books, your electric PTT motor should be a 3 wire motor. Trace the wires of the motor back to its connector and unplug it. Run jumper wires as instructed above directly from the battery to those electric motor wires..... battery negative wire to the black motor wire, positive battery wire to the remaining Green and Blue wires one at a time. Connected to Blue should make the motor run in the up mode, connected to Green should make it run in the down mode. If the electric motor runs in both modes, then obviously the electric motor is okay. If it does not run in both directions, it's faulty and will require repair/replacement.

down45

Cadet

Yes I turned it only 2 turns or less, no leakage. Yes it is a three wire system. Thank you so much for your help. I will have to wait until my day off ( wed ) to try the wires but thnks again. This forum is awesome everyone has been so helpful and quick to respond. Have a wonderful day.....

down45

Cadet

Just now getting back to fixing my trim problems. Been raining on most if not all of my days off. Now the weather promises no rain. Today I got under there with the book and found that I have power to the solenoid. When I push the switch to lower the motor the sollnoid clicks and when I push the switch to raise the motor I get no click but when I test the connection after turning the switch to up I get power but nothing from the motor. Some one said to loosen the motor case just a bit to wiggle it and maybe tap a bit the brushes might be stuck. Also had another question. Since I had to turn the manual release valve to raise the motor then I tightened it back should the motor still stay up when I release the holding clip ? Seems like when i release the clip the motor will lower not sure how far I only lowered it a few inches because I remember how heavy it is to lift it all the way from the lowest position. Maybe it will lowere only as far as the fluid in it will allow. Does this mean I need to bleed the system ? And how would I do that not in my book. This is my first boat and this is a learning experience for me but I am so fustrated I know it has to be from sitting for 6 months. When I parked it everything was just fine. I did buy a new battery so it is getting plenty of juice.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Solenoid should click in to RAISE the engine..... NOT to lower it.

Reread my previous post and run the battery directly to the elec motor as a test.

down45

Cadet

I just had a chance to try what you said. And low and behold the motor raises and lowers with no problems at all. The switch I replaced is just like the old one. middle wire hot left blue and right green. It is a on-off-on toggle switch. So I guess the problem is the solinoid right ? AT least now I know it is not the motor. Here is a picture of my solinoid and how it is all connected

Attachments

• IMG_0570.jpg
    IMG_0570.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 0