1970 33hp johnson not rolling over (Saftey switch or sylenoid)

Nubbin85

Cadet
Okay so the pontoon i just bought I got to roll over and fire right up 2 times..then all of a sudden nothing happens when i turn key..I can still get the electric choke to work though..I origionally thought it was ignition, but after talking to marina that I just dropped 650 at to get the thing running good they tell me its either the saftey switch or the sylenoid. I know where the sylenoid is, but not teh saftey switch..can anyone tell me what it looks like and where it would be located? Also are either of these hard to change?

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1970 33hp johnson not rolling over (Saftey switch or sylenoid)

You know the solenoid OK it has a small wire most likly yellow,Start anew the solenoid has 4 connections two large one in from the battery and one out to the starter,then two small a yellow and then black.Run a small wire from the yellow and touch it to the + on the battery.If it turns the starter the solenoid is good.Make sure all the battery + and - posts and cable ends are clean make em shine,do the same with the two large on the starter,then do the small wires on the solenoid,Them make sure the ground wire is clean and has good contact. I'm not sure if thet motor has a safty switch? Make sure the shifter is in neutral.

Nubbin85

Cadet

Okay sounds good ill try that...I was told the saftey switch is on the side of the motor next to the throttle pivot...is this something I can replace myself?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Have you verified that the battery is fully charged, and capable of holding a charge?

Nubbin85

Cadet

@Daviet thanks I'll try that too..@Tim Frank Yes, I've had 2 different batteries on it and even my 2011 silverado battery..I by passed the solenoid and teh starter took off...you knwo come to think of it I had similar problems with my lawn mower and i remember it wa the solenoid...That might explain why when i was trying to jump the battery 2 times i got it to fire and then the 3rd time was nothing not even a click..same situation on my mower and turned out to be solenoid...thanks guys I may have just solved the prob...I'll update you when I find out.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Don't overlook cleanliness of connections...especially grounds.

Fed

Commander

Did you bypass the solenoid or did you activate it with a jumper, there's a big difference.
FWIW the safety cut out switch won't stop the starter motor from turning over via the key.

Nubbin85

Cadet

Thanks for all the help guys got it figured out (w/ dads help) It indeed was the saftey switch like I was thinking but i overlooked a small part that my dad caught...the switch just need to be adjusted to make contact!!! fired right up...props to iboats and all the help from the community!!! :)