'71 Evinrude Starflite 125 hp

jbing81

Chief Petty Officer
SN 125183C with OMC TnT

While removing the motor from the boat last month one of the lockbolt pins sheered, however that really isnt the issue as I can get it replaced. Im wondering if these lockbolts are the only 2 pins holding the motor to the boat?? When I removed the motor I noticed 2 threaded holes on the swivel bracket that were not being used. (no through holes in the transom) Im wondering if this was over looked when this motor was installed? Or if these lockbolts really do hold the entire motor? When I re mount the motor should I drill the additional holes for the swivel bracket or just leave it as I found it and reinstall?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: '71 Evinrude Starflite 125 hp

I always bolted engines that large to the transom.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: '71 Evinrude Starflite 125 hp

There should be two brackets bolted to the transom, two stainless steel bolts in each to hold them to the transom.

Then the motor slips down into those brackets. Two threaded pins go in from each side to keep the motor from jumping out of the brackets. Are they what you broke? They don't really hold the motor to the transom, just keep it from moving up out of the bolted-on brackets.

The threaded holes you are speaking of were used to hold the motor to the wooden board in the shipping crate. Not used once unpacked, although some people do use them to further secure the motor to the transom. They really aren't positioned properly for that job.