noob question - pull start a Yamaha C75 if the batt is dead?

boostdemon

Cadet
Hey, sorry if this is a moronic question but although im mechanically inclined im a complete newbie to boats and outboard motors.

I noticed the flywheel? on top of my Yamaha 2stroke C75TLRS outboard has a notch in it where i would only guess was designed to hold a knot in a pull cord. Is this insane or could i toss a piece of cord with a T-handle on it in the boat in case the battery dies and successfully pull-start this thing? ...or would i lose an arm lol

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: noob question - pull start a Yamaha C75 if the batt is dead?

That's what the knot slot is for. One word of caution. You WILL be standing when you pull that cord. Anyone seated behind you is in a direct line with that knot as it leaves the flywheel. Have them turn their back or duck as you perform this task to avoid a losing an eye or ending up with another form of knot on their forehead.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My 81 mercury 175hp also has that pull start capability. Take a cover off the top of the flywheel and you have a place to attach a rope. I can't imagine how awkward it would be to pull start that engine but hey it is an option! Here's to hoping I never need to try it out!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

why not try it once in safe conditions? I pulled a 50 once.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

Stretch your arms first a little bit and give it a go, I have done it with both a 70hp Merc and a 75HP Evinrude.

boostdemon

Cadet

sweet, yeah i might give it a try tomorrow out on the lake when i know i can just hit the starter if i cant do it. Just want to see what it'd take.

Pretty cool. Thanks guys!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Don't just jerk the rope. Get a good grip on the handle and give a firm steady pull. WARNING: Use a length of rope that allows only three wraps maximum. Any more than that will likely not allow the reach of your arm to pull the rope free. If it doesn't release and the engine starts, you will have a handle whipping around at frightening speed.

boostdemon

Cadet

ah, yeah that was a concern of mine... so that starter gear/flyweel is not on a clutch or anything? i didnt try it yesterday when i was out.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You will probably be surprised at how easy it is to start. One or maybe a tad more turns of the rope is all you need. Be sure the key is turned on, etc. And check twice to make sure it is in neutral!!!

If starting a cold motor, know how to manually choke/prime it. Nah, if it hasn't been run yet, and haven't left the dock yet, you shouldn't be going out till you get it fixed.