1975 50HP Johnson Outboard - removal of lower unit

JohnnyB021

Recruit
I need to replace the impellar on the water pump, but am not succeeding in getting the lower unit off of the motor. I have removed all six bolts on the lower half, but cannot get the shift rod to disengage to allow the lower unit to be removed. Any help?

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1975 50HP Johnson Outboard - removal of lower unit

sorry but I cant delete my post or I would have.

railmanbnsf

Cadet

I need to replace the impellar on the water pump, but am not succeeding in getting the lower unit off of the motor. I have removed all six bolts on the lower half, but cannot get the shift rod to disengage to allow the lower unit to be removed. Any help?

The shift lever is bolted under the front of the motor, behind and under the carbs, u need to unbolt it and slide the connecting rod out with the lower unit.

Hrokor

Seaman

Yes, you need a 7/16 socket, preferably a 1/4" drive and probably a swivel adapter as it is in a very tight place

railmanbnsf

Cadet

or small hands i was able to get it with just the 1/4 " drive deep well, but make sure the lower unit is supported well. i used a rachet strap to hold the top and bottom units together together

JohnnyB021

Recruit

Excellent...thanks all for responding. I was able to quickly remove the starter and get at the bolt. Once the bolt was out, the lower unit slid out easily. Anything I should be aware of when re-installing the lower unit in the same fashion?