1979-80 80 hp 4 cyl Mariner

Jeff Lindquist

Seaman Apprentice
Can't get motor to start or idle. Lots of crank on spiral grid battery. Did not run at all last year, but used to idle nicely when warm and lots of top end. Had trouble keeping it running in between idle and full throttle. Rebuilt carbs last year, adjusted idle lever up a bit. Top carb now dumps fuel out the butterflys and will not start. Bottom carb attempts to fire. Never did start last year. Cousin suggested electrical, possibly CDI. Great compression. Motor in clean and good condition, not abused at all. Still good friends with original owner. I need to know where to start chasing the power through this system to see if there is any failing between battery and cylinders. There is spark at the plugs but not sure of voltage. I think i'm doomed! Haven't been fishing with this boat in 2 years. Also a motor newbie, so not sure about rectifiers and other strange latin words. I do have a Seloc rebuild manual but seems to be in greek!!

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 1979-80 80 hp 4 cyl Mariner

When you rebuilt the carbs did you put in kits?

Jeff Lindquist

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1979-80 80 hp 4 cyl Mariner

Yes i rebuilt with new gaskets, needles, jets and floats. In fact, i got smaller jets for the top carb to reduce fuel flow and it still poured out of the carb without firing. Bottom carb did not leak fuel, but did not fire either.