2008 Q5i cover/other questions

C-17 Pilot

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all, few questions...

Quick intro...I'm in the process of buying a 2008 Q5i 190HP (family's first boat) here in the next 2 days. One thing of concern is finding a GREAT cover, as it will have to be stored outside a majority of the time. I would prefer a custom cover vs. a semi-custom, but am looking for something that will last for 5-7 yrs and is very durable on the highway (blueberry color).

I noticed on the Tahoe website that in the options section, they sell custom Tahoe covers. However, I don't know if the 2010 would fit the 2008's - or, if they would even have 2008 covers in stock (universal?).

(** note** I know I can call the company, but am looking for advice here first).

Second of all, what products are best for cleaning both the seats, exterior, and interior of the boats. I did a Google search and found nearly 4000 products. I went and did a test run of the boat today. Motor was pure, with less than 80 hrs, and performed like I wanted.

I have a OCD when it comes to keeping care of "toys"...so I'm looking for sound advice. Once I figure out how to post pictures with my wife MAC, I'll do so.

-Cheers

C-17 Pilot

bellhop

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2008 Q5i cover/other questions

Welcome,

I'm not gonna be too helpful as far as a cover is concerned. I bought one from Wal Mart for $90 on sale. I also have a canopy over the boat so the cover is extra, although necessary. To be honest though it is a pretty good quality cover and is made for road traveling. It fits the boat like it was made for it and the picture on the box appears to show a Tahoe boat and matching trailer. Can't say for sure since the boat is covered.

I haven't had any need for heavy duty polishes or the like but Mother's makes a line of Marine cleaners and waxes that I'm happy with. You can experiment with different types but it can end up expensive.

Enjoy the new ride!

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your looking for a custom cover, I don`t think you`ll find it as an online order. I purchased the semi custom sharkskin from iboats 3 years ago, and it has held up very well, and is very waterproof. It fits fine , but doesn`t look as good as the fitted picture you see on the ad . My Q6 is also stored outdoors, and the cover keeps the interior dry. My buddy has a Q5, and has a custom cover which looks very nice, but it snaps on and was custom made. My cover was 350.00, a custom will start at 600.00 to 800.00. definately worth it if you have the cash and are looking for an excellent look. Welcome aboard, and I hope you have as much fun and enjoyment on your boat as the rest of us. It`s not the cheapest hobby, but the smiles on my kids and their friends faces on a tubing ,ski, or wakeboard day are priceless!! ;)

C-17 Pilot

Seaman Apprentice

If your looking for a custom cover, I don`t think you`ll find it as an online order. I purchased the semi custom sharkskin from iboats 3 years ago, and it has held up very well, and is very waterproof. It fits fine , but doesn`t look as good as the fitted picture you see on the ad . My Q6 is also stored outdoors, and the cover keeps the interior dry. My buddy has a Q5, and has a custom cover which looks very nice, but it snaps on and was custom made. My cover was 350.00, a custom will start at 600.00 to 800.00. definately worth it if you have the cash and are looking for an excellent look. Welcome aboard, and I hope you have as much fun and enjoyment on your boat as the rest of us. It`s not the cheapest hobby, but the smiles on my kids and their friends faces on a tubing ,ski, or wakeboard day are priceless!! ;)

Thanks to the both of you for your reply.

maddog2112, do you think it would be possible for you to get who made the custom cover for your friends boat? Although I'm as thrifty as the next guy, I would personally like a custom or semi-custom cover which will hold up well. I'm new to the hobby...any suggestions as far as brand when it comes to a custom cover.

Your last line above was the only reason I decided to buy....

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

C17, I`m in louisville, Ky and thats where my friend had his cover made. If you want a custom cover, you will probably have to find a guy in your area who specializes in marine upholstery and or boat covers. They usually want the boat on hand as they measure and fit throughout the process. Hence, custom fit. you`ll have to check the internet for your area, or word of mouth. If you see a nice cover on the way, or at a lake you frequent, most boaters are happy to answer any questions, as we are all in the same boat (pun intended):D. Maybe someone in your area will chime in. Good luck to you, and once again, welcome aboard.:cool: