Hull and Stringer Glassing Question

justcatchin

Cadet
I am in the process of restoring a 19.5 ft AstroGlass F&S. As with most of these projects there were more problems than I thought. I got the stringers out and found the stiffning boards along the hull were mostly bad, so out they came. I put them back in like they were and then glassed. 1 layer of each in order, 1.5 oz CSM, 10 oz. woven cloth, 18 oz woven roving. The stringers and transom are getting the same. The transom is 2 layers of 3/4 inch AraucoPly with 18 oz. woven roving sandwiched in between. The question is does this seem adaquate, to little or over kill. I am pretty sure this is more than what was there, the stringers were not even fully wrapped!Thanks in advance for the relpys.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Hull and Stringer Glassing Question

Well the 18 oz between the layers is way overkill, just a layer of CSM would have been plenty and better. But the rest of your plan is okay, use a layer of matt between each layer of cloth.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats?

Pics are always nice. What resin are you using? I agree with CW ^^^^ a LOT over kill on the Woven and Mat is ALWAY necessary between layers of cloth UNLESS you're using Epoxy.

justcatchin

Cadet

I am using epoxy and I will gey some pics loaded tomorrow. Thanks

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

My bad I assumed polyester resin....I know shouldn't have assumed. Wood is correct you can skip the matt with the epoxy.

justcatchin

Cadet

Great! The hull is complete and the CSM is on the stringers. I have been scuffing each layer before applying the next, is this necessary or a waste of time? It seems like it is smoother after the light scuffing. This project is in the garage so the polyester was not going to work with the odor.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The binder in CSM is not broken down by epoxy, unless the CSM is specially formulated for use with epoxy. You shoul only use Cloth or Biaxial. Using the CSM can actually weaken the bond of the epoxy.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You will have to talk to you supplier.