Shifter linkage not working right

rbunk13

Cadet
Ok so here's the problem. I took my outdrive off to replace my impeller. But I didn't put the drive in forward when I removed it. Now when I Put it back on it's like the shifter is reversed. Can't get the shifter to go past neutral or into reverse. Is it possible that the shoe that the outdrive slides into got twisted by not having the drive in forward first. I do have the outdrive in forward and the shifter in forward on the re-install.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shifter linkage not working right

removing a lower can be done in any gear but fwd is preferred.shifter in fwd puts the upper shoe in a straight line.splined shaft of lower turned fully clockwise(fwd). raise lower unit to just catch the foward nut by 2 threads to hold the unit.install lower shoe on splined shaft facing straight. raise unit to start the 2 side nuts making sure the shoes mate together and snug side nuts, install remaining hardware.

rbunk13

Cadet

When I turn the lower half gear selector so that it's in forward the shoe that's operated by the shifter turns the opposite way. Don't understand why.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

"When I turn the lower half gear selector "

the splined shaft must be fully clockwise first, this should lock the prop counterclockwise

partyanimal

Recruit

hi my shifter shoe keeps coming out after i put the boat in the water and run it for awhile. then i put it in nuetral then wont got into forward,but i have reverse whats wrong? ty jimbo