1972 wellcraft soft transom?

edamarino

Recruit
my boat is a 1972 well craft airslot it has a 90hp merc 6cyl (the tower of power) and im starting to notice the transom move alittle when picking the motor up and down. should i worry and replace it or wing it and use it for the season?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 wellcraft soft transom?

Transoms are NOT supposed to "Move a Little". You should do a LOT closer inspection. I would HATE for the Classice MERC to be at the bottom of the Lake.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Welcometo iboats Dry Dock.

A bad transom is nothing to wing it with...if you have movement you have rotten wood that needs to be replaced. Now how long will it last? No one knows, could be years or could have an outboard at the bottom of the lake on you next trip. It's not worth the chance....repair it.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Well two answers at the same time, but both the same.....

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The outboard sinking is tragic enough.
The rest of the boat will go down with it as well, along with whatever/whoever is in the boat.
I agree with the simultaneous posters.
Replace it..

edamarino

Recruit

well talked to a buddy of mine who builds boats, he advised me to replace the transom before i use it this season. so we made an agreement he helps me and i'll help him build four more boats. by the way if anyone is in hull, ma i suggest checking these boats out he rents them. 10' mini formula's to scale with merc 25hp. these things are the balls

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

well talked to a buddy of mine who builds boats, he advised me to replace the transom before i use it this season. so we made an agreement he helps me and i'll help him build four more boats. by the way if anyone is in hull, ma i suggest checking these boats out he rents them. 10' mini formula's to scale with merc 25hp. these things are the balls

Good advice, take him up on the offer, you're safety isn't somthing to mess with.