Looking to sell

jaclynn07

Recruit
Im looking to sell my 1988 Evinrude VRO 40 hp outboard motor, it sat for 3 years or so until i bought it 2 years ago, did some work to the motor and sounded great, idled nice in the driveway for quite sometime.... took it out on the water and fired right up, about 5-8 minutes in i had an annoying alarm ringing in my ear.... motor shut down and wouldn't start.... i've looked into it and hearing that its probably overheating, i was told to change out some gasket that allows the water to flow in.... guess they dry rot after time. could this be it or something else and what would something like this be worth as is?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking to sell

The alarm is meant to be annoying so you stop the motor:)

What is likely dry rotted is your impeller. I would start there, and while the gearcase is down ensure that the water passages are clear as is the water intake. Might be a good time to service the t stats to ensure your cooling system is functioning as it should.

When the alarm sounds in the future, shut down immediately and get towed in to prevent serious damage. Check compression as well to ensure all is well.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking to sell

Check your local classifieds to compare.

Just so you know, you will likely have trouble selling it as is like that.