Starcraft Restoration

markandclark

Cadet
I recently picked up this 1991 Starcraft SF 16 DLX and a matching EZ-loader 1500lbs trailer. It didn't come with a motor so as of right now I am looking for a oil injected motor that is under 40hp so any suggestions would be great. The hull is in good condition except for a spot where the previous owner had rolled it over a log while fishing. It leaks in that same spot so I am going to straighten the hull and tighten the rivets. If it still leaks then I will replace them but I have no idea on what rivets to use or where to get them. The rivets that are there now are solid aluminium and can?t seem to find any info on them searching the internet. The floors were all rotted so I ripped them out and am now trying to find the correct plywood to replace them with. I was thinking of pressure treated but I have heard that is reacts with aluminium. The floors were a half inch thick but I not sure if that is thick enough. The transom is questionable so I don?t know if I should replace it or not? I have never replaced a transom before so again what plywood would I use and is there any other things I should know about the transom? After I took out the floors I found a birds nest of wire that was not correctly wired and seemed old and dangerous so I decided to rewire the whole boat. There will be two batteries on board. One for the trolling motor and accessories and a cranking battery. I was wondering what gauge wire I should buy for the battery to the console and what wire for the accessories like fish finder, navigation lights, etc? I have many more questions but this is enough for now. Wish me luck.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Starcraft Restoration

First of all welcome to iboats, second off some pics would be helpfull so we can see what you are working with. You are correct, dont ever use pressure treated wood in a boat, it will react with the aluminum. Alot of guys, including myself like the auruca ply. It has very few voids and is about half the cost of marine ply. 1/2 inch for the floor should work out just fine. If the transom is soft at all I would replace it. It is alot easier than you might think. Check out the Starcraft restorations http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=385090 there is a ton of great info there. They do make solid rivets to replace the old/leaky ones with. Good luck!

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome MarkandClark, watch out you'll be an addict like the rest of us. Less than a year ago I came to this group alot like you and I'm in my first total rebuild right now. Boatnut is right, go to the starcraft forums and look at the restore section at the top. Almost everything you'll need to know is in there. If you don't find it in there, ask them...they'll help you through it. Like they have me. Good luck and have fun.

markandclark

Cadet

Thanks for the advice. I tried to post pics but the didn't work I'll try agian later tonight. Is there some special way to post pics on this forum? Also boatnut mentioned that they still make the solid rivits where could you buy them and are they just pounded in?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

My signature has a link on how to post your pics. Make sure to set your General Settings correctly and use the Go Advanced Button. Or you can use the PhotoBucket instructions.

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the advice. I tried to post pics but the didn't work I'll try agian later tonight. Is there some special way to post pics on this forum? Also boatnut mentioned that they still make the solid rivits where could you buy them and are they just pounded in?

Yes you can buy solid rivets, I bought mine here http://www.rivetsonline.com/solid-aluminum-rivets.html They are not just pound in though, you are going to need help doing these. I bought an air hammer made for doing rivets and I also had to get a rivet set for the air hammer and a bucking bar for the back side of the rivets. You put the rivet in and have someone on the inside with the bucking bar, you use the air hammer with the rivet set on the head of the rivet with your helper using the bucking bar on the back side of the rivet. This is how you set your rivets. Now have I done this yet? Nope, just got my rivets and bucking bar this week. I bought my airhammer online as well at this place http://www.aircraft-tool.com/ and the one that I got is this one http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=2602A. It is $89 and I think will be ok, but then again I have not tried it yet. I bought 3/16" rivets in various lengths, I also bought a few 1/4" ones in case I screw up the holes on the 3/16" ones. The rivets are only $6 per hundred. I plan on replacing some rivets when my wife is up and not sleeping this weekend, she is going to be my helper on this one.

You will want to order brazier head rivets and rivet set if you do get them. I am hoping that I do this ok though, I think that I will be fine though.

markandclark

Cadet

Let me now how the riveting goes I very interested in seeing how they come out

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Kelly just gave us some good info right there! Now logged in the "Book o Knowlege" with credits.
Cant wait to see pics.