merc 140 stainless prop question

forplayboat

Seaman Apprentice
I got a free stainless prop from a freind that found the bottom of an outdrive that was torn from a passing boat that hit a big underwater rock. OUCH, I'll bet some body is not very happy! At any rate, I have the prop and lower gear section and i cant seem to find out if it will fit my Alpha drive. The numbers on the prop are 48 16990 A40 20P. The prop is in excellent condition and I would like to use it but I dont know if it will work. The prop pitch currently on the boat is 19 and is an aluminum prop. A friend has the same boat (except mine has the euro transom)and he runs a 21P prop and said that its the best thing he has done for his boat, changing from a 19P to a 21P. Can anybody clue me in to what this prop is from and if it will work on my Alpha? I would at least like to try it to see if I can gain any performance improvement.<br />Thanks, Jim.

tommays

Admiral
Re: merc 140 stainless prop question

if it fits and does not hit anything when you turn it over by hand it will not hurt anything to give it a try just remenber your motor needs to run at the correct WOT or it is not the right prop<br /><br />tommays