Tahoe Q7SF

Swag1777

Recruit
Can anyone tell me their thoughts on Tahoe Boats. I have heard good and bad. I will use the boat primarily for Fish and Ski in a fresh water lake. I wil take it to the beach once or twice a year. 1 -Is this a good boat to buy? 2 - Will it be okay to take in salt water a few times a year?

bellhop

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Tahoe Q7SF

I'm very happy with mine. I intend to take mine out to the coast as soon as the engine is broke in properly.Too many no wake zones due to the manatees so that would mean alot of extended low rpm traveling. Just flush the engine good when you get the home and spend a little more time cleaning and polishing. Don't forget to rinse the trailer and brakes too. Saltwater is no worry if you do proper maintenance, especially if you don't moor your boat in it. I never seen or heard of an operator's manual that said, "Don't use this boat/engine in saltwater". Enjoy it.

kailec00

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I love mine. It suites my family perfect and when we upgrade will look at the Q8. I have not had any big issues. The snap in carpet gave me some issues, but that was really about the biggest. The dealer replaced it and added more snaps. Look around in the Tahoe Forum and you will see what questions others have asked about the brand. I only run in fresh water so could not answer about the salt water, but do not see any reason you couldn?t. I have seen post in the Tahoe area about running in salt water.

Swag1777

Recruit

Thanks! I am a first time boat buyer so a little nervous. Thanks for your thoughts!

jkust

Rear Admiral

Tahoe is a budget brand boat. Less robust, a few corners cut and lighter than premium brands but a lot less money and the beauty of boats is everyone uses the same power packages. Take a look at the other budget brand boats as a comparison and you will see that Tahoe packs a lot of stuff into their packages. I'd take one over a Bayliner and possibly over a Stingray. For your denoted usage, you'll likely be pleased as punch with a Tahoe. It wouldn't be fair to compare a Tahoe to a Regal, Chaparral or some others but on the bottom end because you get what you pay for. I can say I have heard of and know directly more folks that have had issues from annoying to flat out structuraly defects with Tahoes than any other brand.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had a 01 Q7 and was more than happy with it. I bought it as a repo, and it was trashed, but with a little elbo grease, it was a great boat for us for 5 years. My father bought a Tahoe 215 Deck Boat new in 06. It is a very nice boat and still looks brand new. Of course he takes care of his stuff. The only issue he ever had was a carb issue when brand new. They replaced it and it has been fine since. That had nothing to do with Tahoe though, that was a Mercruiser issue and all boats use the same engines.

All in all I would have probably bought another one, and almost did, except I found a great deal on a used Monterey 214 FS and couldnt pass it up. I absolutely loved my Tahoe and was actually sad to see it go. I dont care what anyone says, the fit and finish is there. Goofy little things like a piston on the ski storage in the floor might be the exception, but for the most part, they are put together well and will give you years of good service, especially if you care for it properly.

Oh and Tahoe is currently offering rebates on their left over 2011 models. Remember they also include the trailer. Some other boat manufactorers do not.