trailer lite help

hipster dufus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my trailer lites are not working rite. one side is brighter then the other and the bright side does not blink. power coming out of the trucks connector is ok. am i looking at a ground issue?any idea on how to proceed? iam thinking about disconnecting and wire brushing everything, then reconnecting. do these problems occur with led lites?any help is appreciated.

G

Re: trailer lite help

It sounds like you have either a bad ground or the double elemint in the bulb has made contact with each other on one side causing the bright effect. First check the bulbs and then make sure you have a good clean ground on each light fixture.

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like a ground issue. Your plan of pulling and cleaning all connections is the proper way to go.

LEDs normally do not have issues with dimming as they usually just quit working. The reason that the Incandescent lights dim is a bad connection causing a voltage drop in the circuit. The bulb then operates on the remaining, lowered voltage, and is therefore dimmer. LEDs have a voltage threshold where they will turn on. They will remain lit if over that threshold until the voltage gets too high and they burn out. The light output does increase slightly as the voltage is increased, but the effect is small.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Defintely a ground issue.

Check to see it the white wire on your trailer plug is connected to the trailer.....typically folks keep it disconnected and let the trailer ground itself through the trailer hitch ball.....not a good idea at all.

I'm using LEDs on both of my boat trailers.