Installing bellows without Adhesive.. Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha1

Gohot

Cadet
This last month I finally gathered all the parts needed to do a 'BELLOWS' job in my Stingray bow rider. After deciding to Cheap Out and not get the bellows tool nor the Adhesive, I went ahead and proceded to install the bellows for the drive and exhaust along with the hose for the water pump. Upon reflection the only thing I would have also got would have been NEW clips, the little clips that go on the ends of both bellows (4 on my application). The purpose is to help with alleviating electrolisis. Anyway, the clips also helped in keeping the clamps from sliding back off the bellows while you stretch them and tighten the clamps. One thing of particular importance was the need of a 'flex driver' to tighten the clamps as the recess they fit in is just too difficult to access with standard screwdrivers or small sockets. I found just such a tool on ebay. It was a flex driver with the tip an 8mm socket that was fairly shallow. Worked like a champ and only cost $9 and change.Were it a slotted screwdriver in construction, it would have yet been too difficult to use, I highly recomend the socket type (8mm fits the clamps). I DID HOW EVER FAIL TO USE the adhesive that sometimes comes with the bellows kits or is available seperatly from many sources. I just figured it would be getting really swampy holding the bellows and trying at the same time tightening the clamp, while with a finger holding the clamp in orientation and tightening. I did manage to get all the hoses/bellows on and tight however, satisfactorily tight, as I got alot of grip with this tool. I later that week I ordered a manual on ebay, a Sealoc Mercruiser stern drive edition. While reading in the manual about the bellows change, it made mention of the adhesive, it seemed on every page...... too late for me.... hmm what can I expect now, I didn't use adhesive? Yet I did suceed in getting all the rubber on and 'tight' and clamped properly. As much of a job as it is to mount all the bellows and hose, I'm reluctant to take it all back apart to use adhesive, but in the same breath, I'd hate to allow the gimble bearing and u-joints get contaminated with water and cause a much more expensive fix. :confused::facepalm: I wonder now......and I was so carefull and meticulous in the assembly, if now it was all for naught and must be done again with adhessive. WHAT SAY YOU.......??

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Installing bellows without Adhesive.. Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha1

A fairly time consuming job.......therefore, you may want to chance it, and simply plan on replacing all the bellows a little earlier than normal (a few years from now).....assuming no leaks.
I think the clamp is the main cause for sealing out water.
We'll see what others think.

Gohot

Cadet

I did remove all the old residue of glue and oxidation and contamination, wiped it down on the u-joint and exhaust flanges with acetone before assembling it

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did mine on a 3.0/alpha 1 four years ago and couldn't get the exhaust to stay on with the glue. Was told here clean it up, light sand and skip the adhesive. Finally got it to stay put. I also used the glue on the gimbal bellows and it had a really slow leak. A year ago redid them with NO glue/adhesive. Ran hard all last year without a drop leaking. As far as I'm concerned I'll never use the glue/adhesive again.

PS: Check here for the real manual: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=457054&p=3084839#post3084839

Gohot

Cadet

Thats encouraging Jerico, I feel like I deffinatly got the clamps tight, not pinch holes tight, but plenty secure. To go tighter would have possibly damaged the clamp screw mechanism

brhodes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gohot, Regarding the glue and the exhaust bellows, I think it's pretty common not to use it, but keep in mind that is the exhaust bellows. It is difficult to put on, usually the last one to do, and if it fails you boat won't fill up with water. I'm pretty sure most would recommend using it on the other 2. If you are going to leave it I guess you should just check the clamps frequently to make sure they don't shift or loosen with use. Just my 0.02.

telstar1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Id love to know how to ensure adhesive actually goes where its intended. Mine generally ends up in my hair,on glasses and many other surprising areas, now it doesnt I dont use it. Forget the damn adhesive you should be fine. Pull drive after a few hours running to make sure u joints are not wet-do this regardless of whether you use adhesive or not.

NHGuy

Captain

I'm on the other side of this discussion. The bellows adhesive is prominently required in all the documentation from both Seloc and Mercruiser.
Although since I now have a Merc manual I feel like I should burn the Seloc.:D
The 2nd time you install that bell housing it gets easier. And the 3rd time it gets simple. Just pay attention to where to place the clamps. And follow Mercruiser's sequence of events.
It's not work. It's preseason preparation!

xcelr8z28

Seaman Apprentice

The manual also says to allow the adhesive to dry for about 10 minutes prior to attaching the bellows by this time its dried up a bit and bonds alot better, also the hose clamp bolts have a recommended torque value, I followed these steps and havn't had any leaks or bellows come off yet.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

You could use silicone or the automotive black gasket sealer when you pull the bellows, however Mercury bellows adhesive is really mandatory.

The penalty for not properly sealing your bellows is that water gets in your universal joints and you end up with rust. When bellows leak, water can drip drip drips into your transom. Eventually, your boat sinks.

I left a boat with a Mercruiser in the water for a two years at a marina. A leaky bellows filled my transom and my boat sank. We pulled a tarp under the boat, tied it above the waterline, and pumped out the water. We had to rebuild the carb, starter and alternator--before pulling the gas tank for cleaning. After new spark plugs and an oil change, it started and ran fine. The cost of repairs exceeded the cost of the boat (used.) I learned my lesson about bellows.

After you've changed a set of bellows, they're easily done a second time. Do yourself a favor, and don't take the risk. Spend the $10 on a tube of Mercury's greasy gunk, and do the job right.