trailer registration question

04whitetb

Seaman Apprentice
i live in illinois and bought a used 16 foot boat and trailer about a month ago.i was intending on moving to michigan so i took the boat and trailer there,it's in storage. now it seems my family and i are going to buy a house here in ill.i was looking at the ill dmv website and it say's i must register the boat within 15 days, and my trailer title say's homeade. i've had the boat in storage for a month now and will i have a problem transferring the trailer title stating homeade? it seems i'm going to have a problem to me. would anyone know what i may be in for? thanks.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: trailer registration question

I suggest you Google for Michigan trailer laws. Or, just call the office that has jurisdiction over boat trailer registration. They are usually quick to give guidance to make their job easier.

Thankfully, my state (Alabama) doesn't title any trailers unless the truck, trailer and boat exceeds 12K lbs. (We also don't have ad valorem taxes on boats/trailers.)

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

The only problem I predict is the state of Illinois digging deeper into your wallet when you register your trailer. You might try going to a small town DMV office since they're generally more laid back (not so busy) and may be more inclined to cut you some slack.

oldjeep

Admiral

If its like MN, you'll pay an extra $10 or so for not transfering within the 15 days.

If you have a title for the trailer it won't matter that it is home made, they should have all the info they need to transfer it on the existing title.

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A month ago!!!????

Check your records again......you bought the boat a couple DAYS ago....wink wink, nudge nudge...

Fives can be made to eights real easy...etc, etc, etc....